Sun Exposure After Rhinoplasty - Wearing sunblock doesn't bother me but I am not one to wear hats!

I am about 3 wks post-op from a closed Rhino and I am recovering fine. I wear a big hat and 100 SPFSunblock while I am outside. In afew wks,would it be permissable to wear just sunblock when I hang outside with friends or walk my dog? Wearing sunblock doesn't bother me but I am not one to wear hats!

Sun exposure after rhinoplasty?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. As the tissue was elevated off of your nose along with any oother adjunct procedures, minimizing trauma to the area is critical for such a delicate procedure as the rhinoplasty. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on. Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

How long to keep sun and water away from nose?

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sun protection after rhinoplasty

+1

It is certainly acceptable to use just sunblock to protect your nose a month after rhinoplasty. You do not necessarily need a hat as long as you have good sunblock on the nose.  

Sun Block is ALWAYS a good idea

+1

All operated upon skin is very sensitive to ultraviolet, including sun light, radiation. Wearing a sunblock will safeguard the skin and enhance your surgical results.

Sun Exposure after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is smart  to always wear sun block  to avoid skin damage and the development of skin cancers. Your skin will be more sensitive to sun exposure for about 6 weeks after nasal surgery.

Rhinoplasty and Sun Protection

+1

Hi,

After rhinoplasty it is advised to avoid sun burn as it causes more swelling to the freshly operated upon nose.  Sun block, a good hat, and sun exposure avoidance is recommended.  If you are outside for limited time with friends or walking your dog, you should be fine with a sun block with SPF greater than 30, with or without a hat.  Discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon.

Enjoy your new nose.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty and sunblock

+1

Sunblock is always a good thing to wear when out in the sun.  It does not specifically help or hurt your rhinoplasty in anyway especially if you do not have an external incision from an open rhinoplasty.

Sunning after rhinoplasty.

+1

Use of a sunblock is something that should be part of your daily routine. Hats give you more protection and prevent more swelling of the nose and wrinkles in the future.

Sun exposure after rhinoplasty

+1

This is more a question for your surgeon. each of us have our own post operatives protocols. I recommend NO SUN for 6 weeks, no sun screen, no exposure of any type IF POSSIBLE. But that is just my protocols.

From MIAMI DR. B

Sun exposure after nose surgery.

+1

You should be careful about sun exposure after any surgery. This can cause burns or hyperpigmentation. Certain skin types may be more prone. Other factors include the amount of exposure and time of day. Exercise caution.