Sun Exposure from Windows Post Rhinoplasty?

I just moved to a new apartment and my bed is near a window. Even with the blinds closed, a little bit of light comes in. My nose has been looking slightly discolored lately (a reddish tint), which I'm guessing could be from the sun exposure. Am I doing any damage by continuing to sleep near a window? I am a year past my rhinoplasty revision.

Sun after Rhino

+1
Your nose is back to normal certainly a year after rhinoplasty.
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure After 1 Year Post Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Lookingforanswers2,

At one year mark post surgery, your nose should almost if not completely healed (some patients do take up a little over a year for final results to be established).

Nonetheless, without physical examination and photographs it is hard to give you a definitive answer. Sun burn, if existing in your case, is not something you want to get anyways especially if you have a vulnerable and sensitive skin.

I encourage you to seek a physical examination with your surgeon.

Best of wished to you and thank you for your question.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Sun exposure one year after rhinoplasty

+1

At this juncture, being 1 year out, you should treat your nose like you did before your first surgery.  You may be getting a mild sunburn, which is never an ideal thing.  Just move away from the window or keep blinds fully closed.  If this redness is accompanied by some pain and fever (does not seem to be your case though), then get checked out by a specialist.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Sun Exposure

+1

No, not unless there is a chance of something coming through the window and hitting you right on th nose you should be fine.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Sunny Florida

+1

I assume that you sleep during the day!  However, one year post revision rhinoplasty with increasing erythema concerns me.  Redness from sunshine could be an issue, but what about hypervascularity from a nasal infection or local irritation?  Also, watch out for hyperpigmentation (browning) if persistent ultraviolet radiation continues.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon