Could Sun Exposure Be Causing Swelling over 3 Months After Rhinoplasty?

I started a new job 3 weeks ago and am on a bus for a 45 minute commute each way. I don't feel the sun shining on my face and it is often cloudy but is it is possible that I'm still getting hit by UV rays? My nose has been much more swollen since starting the job. Could three weeks of this have done any permanent damage such as by causing scar tissue? I'm going to start applying sunscreen each morning. If I apply it in the morning is my nose totally safe from harm? I am about 3.5 months PO.

+1

Doubtful.  Direct and prolonged sun exposure, after a Rhinoplasty, can increase swelling to the nose for the first 6 months IMHO.  You are desribing limited UV exposure that doesn't seem to fit that criteria.

Swelling after nose surgery

+1

healing continues for even as long as one year after rhinoplasty, nasal surgery,  

sun and heat can cause swelling .  it is best to avoid exposure and use a good sunblock

Sun exposure causing swelling after rhinoplasty?

+1

Three months after your rhinoplasty your nose should appear relatively normal.  Swelling might be related to the sun for two reasons at this point;  1) sun damage from overexposure, i.e. sunburn with swelling , like in any area of the body, 2) topical inflammation from a sunscreen product.  The sun, i.e., UV light, will not typically cause swelling.  If this is the case contact a dermatologist.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD