Sun Exposure After Fraxel?

I had fraxel restore on my nose for some surgical scars two days ago. I'd like to take my kids apple picking in about two weeks. If I wear a strong sunblock and hat will this be safe? I have to say I'm a bit confused about what is safe regarding sun exposure after fraxel restore.  I'm 3 days post fraxel and I called my doctors office to ask if it was ok to take my kids out in the yard for about an hour if I put on a hat ad sunblock and stayed in the shade.  She said yes, but that any sun exposure would be bad so to stay out of the sun.  She said it's like there is no skin on that area and I could get sun poisoning.  This is seriously freaking me out.  How long an I supposed to stay out of the sun?  If I have sunlight coming through a window in my house is that sun exposure?  My kitchen has no blinds and I've been avoiding that room, and wearing a hat when and sun block when I go in there.  What is safe the first few days after fraxel?

Fraxel Treatment and Sun Exposure

+1

After a non-ablative fractionated laser procedure I typically want my patients out of direct sunlight for a month following the procedure to avoid any post-inflammatory hyper-pigmentation.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Restore and sun protection

+1

Fraxel Restore does not eliminate skin. It safely penetrates the skin through its fractional laser beams and the epithelium is not violated. Small zones of dermal collagen will be transported up and out through the epidermis in the next five days. Wearing a hat and sunblock and avoiding direct sun exposure is usually signficant protection. Unfortunately, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation can occur for many reasons, including skin type and genetics, regardless of how much you avoid the sun.

Definitely you should use good sun protection. If however, someone is prone to post inflammatory hyperpigmenation, then test spots with the Fraxel might be a good idea prior to having a  full treatment.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice.  The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD