I am now 4-5 Months from a closed Rhinoplasty, I am wondering when I can resume tanning and stop wearing hats and sunblock.

I am now 4-5 Months from a closed Rhinoplasty, I am wondering when I can resume tanning and stop wearing hats and sunblock. Thanks so much! Nathan

Sun exposure and rhinoplasty?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! After any surgical procedure, you should be careful with incisions as well as avoidance of direct UVA and UVB rays in order to lessen the chance for hyperpigmentation of the skin and scars, which can take several months to resolve, if it ever does. As the tissue was elevated off of your nose along with any oother adjunct procedures, minimizing trauma to the area is critical for such a delicate procedure as the rhinoplasty. The ability of the affected area to heal has been slowed and you should try to avoid additional swelling to the area. The area will likely be numb for several weeks to months and will be difficult to feel when sunburn is coming on. Typical recommendations include wearing a hat and/or sunblock to the affected area for at least 6-12 weeks following the procedure. Certainly discuss the postoperative instructions with your surgeon, as thoughts differ among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Sun and Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well.  Of course, you should never stop wearing sun block, but your nose is about at baseline now.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure after Rhinoplasty

+1

4-5 months after rhinoplasty surgery your skin will respond to sun exposure as it did pre-operatively. However, I never encourage tanning which will age the skin and possbly lead to skin cancers.

Tanning after rhinoplasty

+1

It is usually safe to resume tanning several months after rhinoplasty. You should limit the first session and make sure there is no undue swelling as a result. Sunscreen is very important to avoid sun induced skin damage or cancer regardless of whether or not you have had surgery and should not be discontinued.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Tanning will not be detrimental to your nose 5 months after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

You can get nasal swelling from a sun burn on your nose after nose job surgery. By 2 to 3 months post-op tanning is ok and should not negatively affect your result. All the best from NJ

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure after rhinoplasty.

+1

Sun exposure is ok now, but you should still be concerned about the long term effects of the sun. Wear sunscreen for future protection from skin cancer.