Benefits of Liquid Collagen?

will drinking liquid collagen daily during facelift recovery have any effect at all on wrinkles still visible on face?

Bottoms Up!

+4

You are correct in your understanding that collagen is an essential ingredient in the structural framework of the skin, the concentration of collagen has a significant impact on the elasticity of the skin. Unfortunately, when you drink collagen, it will be digested by enzymes in your stomach, and will not result in any material improvement of the wrinkles on your face. But hey, you may pioneer new form of smoothie!

Skin Care BEFORE and After is Helpful for Facelift Results

+2

Unfortunately, drinking collagen will not influence your facelift recovery. Your recovery starts well before your surgery.  Good skin care is undervalued.  A simple routine of sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher), Retin-A (helps organize skin and helps retain moisture) and a good moisturizer (self explanatory). Healthy skin prior to surgery will respond well to surgery.  This continues after your recovery.  Skin care is a lifestyle change not a quick fix.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Benefits of Liquid Collagen / Beneficios de Colágeno Líquido

+2

There is no real advantage of liquid collagen, often times it comes from animals and this can cause allergic reactions. Hyaluronic acid of non animal origin is one of the best methods to fill the wrinkles and lines on your face.

Spanish translation provided by doctor:

No hay ninguna ventaja real de colágeno líquido, a menudo se trata de animales y esto puede causar reacciones alérgicas. El ácido hialurónico de origen no animal es uno de los mejores métodos para rellenar las arrugas y las líneas en su cara.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

No benefit to drinking liquid collagen after facelift

+2

Every time you eat a steak you are ingesting collagen, but whether it is consumed in a liquid suspension or in normal food your body will digest it and break it down. It will have absolutely no effect on facial wrinkles or skin health in general. Similarly for collagen in skin creams - it will just sit on the surface and is not incorporated into the structural collagen of the skin.

Richard Baxter, MD

Injesting Collagen to Help Healing

+2

Martayela- Your question is actually a good one and will help to elucidate a common misconception in Plastic Surgery. It's a fairly well known fact that  increasing collagen amounts in the skin may be a good thing. Unfortunately, you cannot drink it or even rub it on your skin to change the internal structure. The same is true for stem cell preparations that claim improvement in skin texture, etc by rubbing a preparation of animal or plant stem cells on the skin. You cannot injest or apply these type products to your skin and expect ANY changes whatsoever.Especially during the healing phase after surgery.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Liquid Collagen after Facelift

+2

I would not recommend this after facelift as it will likely do nothing. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Benefits of drinking liquid collagen

+2

I have to admit that I have not heard of a type of collagen that can be ingested.  I have not seen any studies which have scientifically evaluated such a product, so I couldn't be 100% sure of my answer, but I would doubt that drinking such a product would influence wrinkles on your face during facelift recovery.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drinking Liquid Collagen During Recovery

+1

Prepping the skin before a facelift is pivotal.  At my practice, Fayetteville Plastic Surgery-Cape Fear Aesthetics, medical staff will instruct patients on how to prepare and provide care for their skin before and after a facelift.  Drinking collagen during your recovery will not aid in healing and is mainly derived from cow placenta. I recommend going through 3-4 skin cycles with pharmaceutical grade products to get your skin at its prime health.  A Retin-A/hydroquinone formula at night marries very well with a vitamin C/peptide combination in the morning. “Dr. D”

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Drinking Liquid Collagen Not worth it

+1

Although collagen makes up the fabric of the skin and deeper structures drinking liquid collagen in people with a balanced diet should have no effect and not worth the effort. 

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Collagen Drinks helpful for Facelift Results?

+1

This is an interesting question that, in my facelift practice, actually never came up nor have I heard about collagen shakes.

Given that collagen is a protein which will be broken down into its building blocks (amino acids) within the digestive system, I would suggest that it will not do any harm. Whether it will make the end result better, I truly do not know.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon