What are the best options for my mommy tummy, diastasis recti and hernia repair? (photos)

Im 27 years old, 5'4", 130-135 lbs, 2 c-sections 9 years, & a 4 months! :-) Last pregnancy I had polyhydramnois, which made me look like I was carrying twins, and left me w/ extra skin, more stretch marks, an uncomfortable hernia & diastaisis recti. Do i have enough loose skin for a full TT? Can/Should I get a "T" inscision to remove some of the stretch marks above my belly button? I dont mind the "T" if that means less stretch marks & smoother scaring (less skin rouching if that makes sense).

Tummy tuck for diastasis

+2
Thank you for your tummy tuck question.
  • You need repair of the rectus abdominus diastasis -
  • The correct incision is a matter of choice - your surgeon can discuss it with you but given the previous C sections, the low abdominal incision is probably best.
  • That allows all loose skin to be removed - although it isn't evident in the photo, I imagine it is very evident on face-to-face exam. Best wishes.

An abdominoplasty is the ONLY procedure that will permanently repair separated abdominal muscles (rectus diastasis)

+2
After a mother has finished having her children, she often finds that she has loose, baggy tummy skin, stretch marks, and separated rectus abdominis muscles - known as "rectus diastasis".  This is more common after having many children and twin/multiple pregnancies.

A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is the ONLY procedure that will permanently repair these muscles back together in the midline!  This surgery that should be performed in the operating room under general anesthesia (I usually also recommend an overnight stay) also removes extra skin, contours love handles and pubic area fat using liposuction, and creates a firm, taut and nicely contoured belly!

Be sure to visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in abdominoplasty.  Ask to see before and after photographs, and talk to patients to learn about what your experience might be like.

Karen M. Horton, M.D. - San Francisco Plastic Surgeon & Mommy Makeover specialist

Karen M. Horton, MD

What are the best options for my mommy tummy, diastasis recti and hernia repair?

+2
Once the abdominal wall is repaired you will have a great deal of loose skin that can be removed.  A small vertical scar may produce the best result.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Tummy Tuck

+2
   Dear Navycandy, You look to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck, rectus diastasis repair with possible T incision. The height of the T is very low in most cases and heals quite well. Good luck. Dr. Gervais

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history and photographs, you appear to be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. The use of a vertical incision may or may not be necessary. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients in your situation. You may find the attached link hopeful to you as you learn more about these procedures. Best wishes.

Full tummy tuck vs Inverted T tummy tuck

+2
Thank you for your question and photos.  From what I can see in the photograph, I think you will do very well with a standard, full abdominoplasty.  I am not sure that you will need an inverted "T" repair.  I think this would be determined based on your exam and the amount of loose skin present.  I would advise that you wait until you are done having all of your children and make sure you are as close to your ideal body weight as possible.  Make sure you spend time with a board certified plastic surgeon  to develop a plan that is right for you and get all of your  questions answered.  

Matthew H. Steele, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck

+2
I think from the pictures and your story, you would be a good candidate for a full tummy tuck.  There is a possibility that you may need a short T, but it seems as though you are ready for that.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck.

Jason Brett Lichten, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

TT

+2
You are a perfect, beautiful candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck in order to remove all of the saggy skin (navel and below) and also to do tight muscle repair and also the diastasis and hernia will be repaired during the procedure and also will help to create a nice and small waist.  
Definitely if during the procedure the stretch marks and flaccid skin above the navel is very obvious, then the small vertical incision will help to remove that flaccid skin and that incision gets almost invisible over the months.
Be encouraged. You will be loving your flat and curvaceous torso. 
Dr. Cardenas

Laura Carmina Cardenas, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck with upside down "T" incision

+2
Dear navycandy,

A full tummy tuck with an upside down "T" incision can provide an excellent result for you.  When performed properly the "T" incision can become almost imperceptible.  Strong abdominal wall repair will of course be needed.  This can be performed many different  ways.  In my practice I use a permanent suture.  You cannot feel it and the chance of it breaking is very low.  Take a look at the before and after photo link below for an example of what you may expect.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Tummy tuck with diastases repair, hernia repair and vertical incision may be your best option

+2
You will need a full tummy tuck to repair your hernia, repair the diastases recti and removed extra loose skin.  Because of the extra skin above your belly button which is very thin with stretch marks a small vertical incision will likely be required.  He may also need acellular dermal matrix to support your hernia repair.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS