What Should Normal Tissue Below Skin Surface Look Like After Mole Removal?

I had an elevated mole removed 2 days ago. It was changing and had a black scaly ring around it which was about halfway up the "pole" of the mole. There are two distinct blackened areas of tissue below the skin layer under both the mole and an area of the base of the mole that had recently started to darken and grow. I am waiting on biopsy results but won't have them for several days. As a cancer survivor several times over already (no skin cancers, tho), should I be concerned?

+2

What you're describing doesn't sound like a cause for concern. The dark areas at the base of the shave excision could either result from a part of the mole that was not removed with the shave or cautery used to stop bleeding after the shave excision. The pathology result will give you a definitive answer but I wouldn't be more concerned based on what you're seeing after the shave excision.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Web reference: http://weberfacialplasticsurgery.com/facial-skin-cancer-mohs-reconstruction/

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mole removal

+1

The pathology results should indicate what kind of lesion was removed.  It may be that some kind of cautery was used to stop the bleeding during the biopsy.  Follow-up with your physician if there are any concerns.

What Should Normal Tissue Below Skin Surface Look Like After Mole Removal

+1

It sounds like hyfrecation was used after the excision of the mole to stop bleeding - it's like a buzzing sound - but it's actually cauterizing the site (hence the blackness). If this wasn't used, my assumption would be it's a bit of the mole left, or could be some coagulated blood. You need to make sure you are keeping the site totally clean, and cleaning it with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and water, a few times a day. After that, apply something to keep that area moist - Polysporin, Aquaphor, Vaseline, etc. This allows the area to heal cleanly without as much of a scar. You don't want the area crusty or scabbed over, that makes scars and divets. Don't be concerned, wait for the results, and follow proper post care.