5'7, 180 lbs, and have recently lost 100 lbs. and still have large apron. Would a tummy tuck help me? (photo)

I have recently (over the last 15 months) lost 100lbs. I am 5'7 and weigh 180lbs. Whilst I am still technically overweight, I feel like I am at my stable weight. I excercise 3/4 times a week and have a healthy diet. I do not smoke and am in general good health. Looking at my photos, will I get a good result from a tummy tuck? I am happy with the size I am, except for the large apron I have been left with. I am conscious that it is not just skin, but fat left also. Can this be removed? Thank you!

Extended abdominoplasty possible surgical option after massive weight loss.

+1

Because of the massive amount of weight loss a conventional abdominoplasty might leave you with horizontal laxity of the skin on the abdominal wall. Extended abdominoplasty that permits removal and tightening of the skin at right angles which might give a better result. It's done at the expense of a vertical incision.

TT candidate

+1

From your photos, you will achieve significant improvement in the appearance of your abdomen.  You would likely benefit from liposuction of the upper abdomen and flanks at the same time to try to optimize the results.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Am I Suitable for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear Holli,

Thank you for your post.  You are an excellent candidate for a tt.  You can get a very nice result and excess skin and fat can be removed.  Consult with a few plastic surgeons that you find in your area.  The following is a example of a 'non ideal weight' tummy tuck.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Am I Suitable for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

The most suitable procedure for you in this case is a full abdominal lastly with an umbilicus transfer. It is unfortunate that weight loss can sometimes result in all thai excessive skin and tissue but with an experienced surgeon you can achieve fantastic results.

Alberto Di Giuseppe, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

Am I a TT candidate

+1

YES! Based on your photos, history and expectations, you seem to be a great candidate for an abdominoplasty possibly with some liposuction to your flanks.  You should have a nice result with the removal of the excess skin that you were left with after your weight loss.  CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and new healthy lifestyle! Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon for a physical exam, to go over your concerns and expectations and discuss your best options.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Am I Suitable for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

A tummy tuck with liposuction will produce the best results.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I Suitable for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

I think you are ready. We like to see a BMI under 30, and yours is 28. We like to see you close to an ideal weight, but a realistic one, and it seems as though you are there. 

I would anticipate a dramatic improvement if you choose to proceed. All the best. 

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement for massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I do recommend a tummy tuck if you do not plan on future pregnancies.  You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement.  This technique will excess the apron that you find dissatisfying but will also increase the strength of your abdominal wall, help you lose weight and maintain the reduced weight.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Ready for a Tummy Tuck

+1

Although there is no substitute for a personal consultation, your photos suggest you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck as well as some treatment of the flanks.  This may consist of liposuction or perhaps extension of the incision to directly remove some of the extra tissue as it extends around your waist.  Your plastic surgeon can advise you on this and, hopefully, you will obtain a very nice result.  Good luck!

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Ready for Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss!  During a Tummy tuck the loose skin on your abdomen is removed and the underlying abdominal muscles are tightened.  You may also wish to consider liposuction of your flanks.  It sounds like you are a good candidate - stable weight, non-smoker and you exercise regularly.  Your expectations also seem reasonable - you are happy with your body in general and just want to address a specific area - your tummy.  The next step at this point would be to meet with some board certified plastics surgeons who can examine you and discuss their recommendations.  Best of luck!

Andrew Jimerson, MD