Am I a Suitable Candidate for Juvederm to Treat Dark Circles?

I'm 23 years old with hereditary purplish dark circles. The skin under my eyes is very thin, and the veins are apparent, so earlier this year I tried a combination of laser & sclerotherapy to treat my dark circles. It didn't work, and the veins returned. I am now considering having a filler (Juvederm) injected into the tear trough area because of the hollowness under my eyes. Do you think Juvederm will lessen my dark circles? Will it also hide the appearance of veins?

Juvederm and discoloration in tear troughs

+1

Juvederm could accentutate this discoloration and therefore is not recommended in this area - however, restylane is more suitable in this area.

Buffalo General Surgeon

Juvederm has a minimal effect on dark circles

+1

When light reflects from the ceiling on a hollow, it may accentuate the darkness of that area due to shadows and other light qualities.  If a hollow is filled in, the light from the cieling will not reflect off the base of this hollow and the area may not appear quite as dark.  With the said, the amount of change in darkness is typically minimal and temporary.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Use Restylane in Under Eye Hollows, Not Juvederm

+1

Gidday Wendybird,

I would avoid Juvederm in the under eye hollows at all costs.  It sometimes has too robust of a filling effect in this delicate and unforgiving area.  We have had to take care of too many patients with unsatisfactory over correction with Juvederm.   If you use any filler in this area, make sure that it is Restylane injected by a physician with a great deal of experience in treating the eye lids.  Good luck and be well.  Pass the Vegemite please.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Dark circles under eyes

+1

Fillers may not improve the dark circles, but can improve contour and light reflection if the Juvederm is injected under the muscle in the tear trough. This might help decrease the darkness on a temporary basis.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Dark circles under eyes

+1

It is usually very diffiuclt to treat dark circles under the eyes. If it is jsut shadowing, then fillers may be helpful. If it isdue to thin skin and the muscle "showing' through, then nothing will help  this.

Options for under eye dark circles

+1

Injectable fillers are a popular option to treat the under eye area. They can work well when part of the problem is contours that cast a shadow, since this is what is improved by fillers rather than the color itself. The problem with HA (hyaluronic acid) based fillers (Juvederm, Restylane) is that the material is a clear gel that can look bluish through the skin (Tyndall effect.) If there is already thin skin it can make it worse so good judment based on experience is required. Other injectable options are fat (your own) or Radiesse. All of these carry risks and benefits so seek expert advice based on personal examination of your concerns.

Richard Baxter, MD

Filler for dark circles under the eyes

+1

Dark circles under the eyes can be caused by a number of variants.  Typically, in younger patients, it is due to your anatomy.  The thin lower eyelid skin is tethered to the underlying bone creating a depression and hence a shadow effect.  As you age and things descend, this "tear trough deformity" will likely become more prominent.  Allergies, hence the term "allergic shiners" can lead to this appearance as well and need to be ruled out. 

Juvederm is a facial filler composed of hyaluronic acid, a natural substance found in our body.  Adding volume with a filler between the bone and the skin can significantly improve the appearance of this hollowed/shadowed appearance.  See an experienced injector as this is an advanced injection techinique which if not performed correctly, can lead to an irregular appearance or cause a bluish hue beneath the thin eyelid skin.  #fb

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm for tear troughs

+1

Although this works well in experienced hands, I carries risk for poor outcomes in inexperienced hands. Given your age and the parameter of "darkness " around the eyes that bothers you, I would suggest that you do not undergo any treatment to this area with Juvederm. I think it is unlikely to help but may cause problems.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon