Help & Suggestions Regarding Nose Job- Can Bumps Grow With Age?

Hi Im in my mid twenties and have always been unhappy with my nose. All my sisters have very small feminine noses a la Angelina Jolie or Marilyn Monroe. When I smile my tip drops and therfore I hate to see myself in profile pics. I also have a bump on the side of my nose (I have also started to feel a bump on the other side, is it possible that bumps can start growing in my age?) I heard you can have surgery to correct a droopy nose, which is best - to cut the muscle or lift the the tip? Thanks

Bump on nose more apparent with age

+1

The bump on the side of the nose is usually related to cartilage and is probably starting to show up as the skin thins with age.  The thin skin will show more irregularities than thick skin.  To correct a droopy nose, tip work needs to be performed and there are multiple different tip techniques that are available depending upon the patient’s nasal anatomy.  Releasing the depressor septi muscle is the key to preventing the tip from drooping when smiling.  Trimming back the columella will bring the tip upwards. 

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

+1

Help & Suggestions Regarding Nose Job- Can Bumps Grow With Age?  No, the bump or dorsal hump doesn't grow with age but rather the nasal tip rotates downward making the hump appear more prominent.  From your photos, your nose has a dorsal hump, the nasal tip is over projected as well as rotated downward.  All of these can be corrected using a closed Rhinoplasty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Long Nose

+1

Cutting the muscle at the base of your nose will decrease your tip drop with facial animation as long as you have good tip cartilages. however, I think your nose is long when you're not smiling. I suggest you consult with an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to carefully evaluate your nose.

Droopy nasal tip

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure to sculpt your nose and give it the refined shape you desire. Your surgeon will individualize your procedure in order to give your nose the look you desire. Try to communicate with your surgeon exactly what you want. Pictures may help.

Lifting the tip in rhinoplasty

+1

Your drooping. down turned  tip is indeed due to muscle, however it can also be due to weak cartilages.  As such, you may need to have both the muscle but and the tip raised a bit.  The bump on the  bridge on the nose can be filed down on both sides so that there is symmetry.  I believe you are an excellent candidate.

Rhinoplasty to correct droopy tip

+1

I find the most reliable method to improve a droopy tip is to lift the tip cartilage itself. Maneuvers can be done that should help prevent the worsened drooping with smiling as well.

As the face develops during teenage years one can expect changes to the bones of the nose. It's hard to say if the new bump you feel is related or not, though. Regardless, bumps can be addressed during rhinoplasty as well.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

The nasal depressor muscle makes the nose bob when you smile

+1

There is a muscle just below the nose which connects to the smile muscles. When this muscle is strong, the tip of the nose bobs down  every time you smile. Most people would like to have this changed.

During your rhinoplasty consultation, you can decide if you want this muscle cut during the rhinoplasty surgery to weaken the muscle. I often remove a portion of the muscle and cauterize both ends to keep the muscle from scarring together again after the surgery. In most cases, the tip of the nose is also supported as part of the surgery to resist any downward pull.

Look in your family photographs. This muscle action may be present in the photographs of your relatives (although they need to be smiling to figure this one out).

Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon