What are My Options for Improving Nasolabial Folds? (photo)

I am becoming bothered by my nasolabial folds and am wondering what can be done to improve the area. I have been noticing deeper nasolabial folds lately and that has bothered me. Are these lines normal or are mine deeper than what one would expect for a 34 year old male? What treatments are available to get rid of these lines?

Dermal Fillers can work to treat nasolabial folds

+2

If you are bothered by your nasolabial folds, and wonder what to do to improve the area, it is important to know that the nasolabial folds commonly appear to "deepen" -- that is in part from the decent of the cheek fat, which leaves hollows on the upper inner cheeks, as seen in your photo.  Correction of these folds can be done by injection of dermal fillers or fat into the cheeks to fill the hollow and pull the cheek up. The filler can also be injected into and under the nasolabial fold to flatten it further and create a more youthful look. Thank you for your question and your photo.

Medford Plastic Surgeon

Options for Nasolabial Folds & Cheek Volume

+1

Hi Surfer.  As the other panelists have mentioned, there are surgical and filler options.  For someone in your age bracket, we would normally be suggesting dermal filler treatments.  We commonly use Radiesse and Restylane in the nasolabial folds.  

In addition to just injecting the folds, it may be wise to consider filling in the cheek or cheekbone area as it looks like this area has a lot of tissue volume loss.  Injecting at the upper cheek can often relieve some of the downward pull which contributes to the nasolabial folds.  If we did inject the cheek, it would most likely be Radiesse.  

Because we are also in Orange County, CA, feel free to click through to the website below and contact us for a free consultation.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Layered fillers versus Surgical treatment

+1

Nasolabial areas can be injected in a "layered" technique, using Radiesse in the deeper layers and Juvederm or Restylane more superficially to get a nice , natural result.  Also, endoscopic, "small-incision" lifts of the midface can give a more permanent result.   Hal Bienvenu MD,  Facial Plastic Surgeon, Lake Charles, La.

Harold Bienvenu, MD
Lake Charles Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse For Nasolabial Folds

+1

In addition to hyaluronic fillers like Juvederm, you may also want to consider Radiesse, which is made of calcium hydroxyapatite. This compound is naturally found in our bones. It is also one of the building blocks of collagen fibers. Radiesse injections not only fill creases in the skin (for issues like nasolabial folds, marionette lines, frown lines and jowls) but also forms a structural matrix beneath the surface which prompts the formation of new collagen growth. The main concept behind Radiesse is structural support which is helpful in creating a firmer contour. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra would add volume back

+1

Loss of volume in the middle , and possibly upper, portion of your face is the greatest contributed to the formation of these folds. Thank you for the photos as they make a big difference when giving advice like this. I think that Sculptra would be wonderful to replace your lost volume and give you a "lift" without surgery. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Nasolabial Fold Treatment

+1

Thank you for the question and the photo. First, it is important to understand the cause of deep nasolabial folds. NL folds actually don't deepen. What is actually happening is the rest of your cheek is moving inferiorly and anteriorly. This gives the appearence of deepening. So you must consider whether you want to slightly mask the problem or treat it. Masking the problem would involve injecting fillers such as Perlane or Juvederm. Both work equally well for that problem. The other option would involve surgery. Excision of the nasolabial fold is an excellent option for men since the resulting scar looks like a shallow nasolabial fold. This should only be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon. You can also add to this a facelift which will improve your cheeks and jowling.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon