Need Suggestions on What to Look and Ask for During Rhinoplasty Consultation. (photo)

I'm planning to get rhinoplasty with augmentation, alar trimming and tip plasty after my orthodontic work is done (involved extraction of six teeth and pulling back of the maxilla and mandible with elastics). I'm not quite sure what specific changes I should explore with possible doctors and if I should expect that other procedures will be suggested (like chin/cheek augmentation) I'm not opposed to having a noticeable change in my appearance. Thank you for your time and help. :)

Asian rhinoplasty

+1

You should look for a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing rhinoplasty on Asian patients.

Rhinoplasty in oriental patients, what to look for.

+1
From the picture, I feel that you have strong oriental features. The flatter nasal bridge is part of those features. Your face has it's own harmony and balance that could easily be disturbed by an over zealous bridge augmentation. I have seen many un-aesthetic results even when performed by surgeons who specialize in rhinoplasty, because they did not pay attention to the balance and harmony of the entire face. You need to see a surgeon who is an artist more so than a technician to get the best results. Good luck.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

+1

I think you mean pulling back of the upper and lower teeth with elastics rather than pulling back of the actual upper and lower jaw bones themselves. Your photos show a very flattened bridge with a greater bone than cartilage deficiency and a round nasal tip. There may be other issues as well that are not clearly visible in the photos as they are not ideal for rhinoplasty assessment. To really answer your questions you will need a better set of photos or preferably a face to face examination. I doubt you would need or benefit from cheek or chin implants.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

To choose a rhinoplasty surgeon you should check their qualifications, before and after photos and feel comfortable with them

+1

Choosing a doctor for rhinoplasty has a number of steps. First you want to make sure that they specialize in rhinoplasty. You should ask how many they perform a year. Next you should look at their before and after photos and ask yourself if the doctor shares your aesthetic taste. Third, you should be comfortable with your surgeon.I find that computer imaging helps a lot to determine what is best for you and to see if you and your surgeon are on the same page.  Does this person explain the entire process to your satisfaction and do you feel comfortable with them.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Video imaging is a good tool to sort out aesthetic feature changes with plastic surgery.

+1

I would suggest you consult your surgeon about video imaging.  The procedures you are considering can be perfomed on the computer to give you some idea of what to expect from the rhinoplasty and any other manipulations.