Suggested Procedure for Tuberous Breasts

Surgeons with expertise in this area, please provide your thoughts. I would prefer a natural look, so perhaps tear drop would be best?

A two-fold approach to your tuberous breasts

+3

My approach to the tuberous component in your breasts, which I have used in many cases, is twofold.

Initially, through a periareolar incision, I would perform a dual plane augmentation releasing the tight and constricted inferior pole (re: the lower portion of your breasts). This allows the prosthesis to sit lower on the chest and creates a slight upward rotation of the nipple areola. The 2nd part of the procedure is a periareolar mastopexy which allows for diminution in the size of the nipple areolar complex and improvement in the herniated subareolar tissue, particularly on the right side. 

Complete correction can be achieved in one operation with an excellent aesthetic result.  The periareolar incision should heal quite well since there is not a great deal of elevation involved to cause tension.  I prefer to use silicone implants and certainly would not use an anatomic or tear dropped style prosthesis. 

Please see the case linked to below for an example of the above. Hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts: There is a solution!!!

+2

Tuberous breast repairs are commonly scar ridden flat and unnatural looking.  The good news is that there is a specific technique to create natural appearing breasts with hidden scars for this type of breast shape. The procedure involves a special subfascial placement of silicone implants and a special nipple lift and areolar reduction with a hidden scar.  The results are very natural appearing.  

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Tuberous breast correction

+2

There are many different variants of tuberous breast or constricted breast developmental deformities.  You do have a variant of tuberous breast, with some areolar protrusion ("pseudoherniation" of the areola), and a very short distance from your nipple to the inframammary fold with deficient tissue in the lower pole of the breast.  You also have a rather wide distance between your breasts.  You can benefit from a breast augmentation, but it should be performed by a surgeon experienced in dealing with turberous breasts. Your inframammary folds will need to be lowered (otherwise the nipples will be too low on the breast and be downpointing), and the tight "constricted" lower pole of the breast will need to be "released" by some scoring incisions on the undersurface of the breast tissue to allow it to expand under the weight of the implant.  The protrusion of the areola that you have will benefit from a periareolar "telescoping" excision similar to a periareolar lift, leaving a scar surrounding each areola and helping to flatten the areola.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

Tuberous breast

+2

there are many ways to improve the appearance of a tuberous breast. I believe that a periareolar mastopexy or tuck will flatten the "tuberous portion" at the time of augmentation. In addition while dissecting the pocket for the silicone implants, the bands of tissue that are causing this can be released allowing the breast to expand and become rounder. I believe that the implants should be place beneath the muscle. On the right side you may also require an extension of the scar around the areolar making it into more of a lollypop shape.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breast correction

+2

There is no consensus on the best surgical treatment for tuberous breasts.  I personally prefer silicone implants performed through a peri-areolar incision, with a reduction of the areolae and submuscular placement of the implants.  Teardrop implants are great, but silicone teardrops are not yet available in the US for general use.  I agree with Dr. Rand, however, in that you should expect a significant improvement, but not perfection, as tuberous breasts are extremely challenging to correct.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Treating tuberous breasts

+2

You can achieve a nice improvement, not perfection, from your slightly more difficult starting point than some tuberous breasts.  You would need periareolar lifts, and in my practice, I believe that an expandable saline implant will give you the best result placed under the muscle because you can stretch the tissues gradually adding fluid after surgery and can best correct the asymmetry and you also get to control the final size you like best.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Suggested procedures for tuberous breasts?

+1
Thank you for your question!   Given your photos, it does appear that you have a mild tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Tuberous Breast

+1

Tuberous Breasts have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of Tuberous Breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient.

Generally, the procedure involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased(to show a more rounded out appearance).

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a board certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information.

Tuberous Breasts Augmentation

+1

Like many cases in the world of plastic surgery, tuberous breast can be treated by several different surgical techniques.  Essentially the goals are to expand out the tight skin envelope of the breast, relax the conical shape of the breast tissue, and finally reduce the enlarged ("herniated") areola.  Depending upon the severity, all this can be accomplished in a single operation for mild-moderate cases or more safely/reliably done in a series of two operations for severe cases.  I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for a direct physical exam and recommendation to follow.  Best of luck...RAS 

Ryan Stanton, MD