What Would You Suggest for my Nose to Refine the Tip? (photo)

Hello, I was wondering if there was such a procedure that, for lack of better terminology, sucks the fat cells out of the sides of the nose? Nose liposuction..nose tip refinement,or non-surgical procedure? When I am not smiling my nose looks fine, it's mainly when I smile that I start to get insecure. What do you suggest? I would love to enjoy smiling big for photos, instead of dreading it. Also, I would like to know how much it would cost? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide!

Nasal Tip Refinement

+2

There are several techniques available to refine the nasal tip.  In general, they are aimed at decreasing the overall volume and width of the tip.  Depending on the specific underlying problem, one or more of the following may be indicated:

Nasal Tip Refinement:

• Cephalic Strip cartilage removal.
  • Tip Suture Techniques  which can be either intradomal (limited to one side) or interdomal (cross the midline and modify both sides of the tip).
  • Cartialge Tip Grafts.
  • Defatting can be performed to thin the soft tissue envelope.

Unfortunately, the issue you describe relates to increased width of the nostrils upon animation (smiling).  This is related to the facial muscles pulling the nostrils sideways.  There is not a widely accepted procedure to address this problem.  Conceivably, one could consider interupting the facial muscle attachements to the skin along the side of the nostrils.  In order to be effective my guess is that such a manouever would adversely affect your smile which in my mind is not a good trade-off.  My advice would be: if you like your nose at rest, then leave well enough alone. 

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon