Could I Be Suffering with From a Capsular Contraction?

Hi, I'm now 3 months post op from a BA, I had 325cc overs and have felt a bit sore and tender to the touch across the top of my left breast since day 1, it gets worse around menstruation but never completely goes away. My implants don't seem hard or a funny shape, they look fine. Do you think this could still be an early sign of CC?

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
Without an infection or a bleed it is rare to have an early capsular contracture I think this may be related to your menses

Doesn't sound like capsular contracture

+1

While the best course of action if you have questions/concerns is to contact your surgeon, your description is not consistent with capsular contracture as it usually manifests itself with hardness in one side.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Capsular Contraction?

+1

Your description is not some consistent with capsular contraction.  Discomfort that increases during menstruation is probably breast tissue/hormone related. I would suggest follow-up with your plastic surgeon, who after direct examination, will be in the best position to advise and/or reassure you.

Capsular contracture signs and symptoms

+1

I do not think this is capsular contracture.  Patients with capsular contracture (cc) typically feel that one side is harder.  They can often feel it when they are lying face down.  If you squeeze or palpate a breast with cc, it feels harder.  Abreast with cc rides higher on the chest and typically will not fall off to the side as much as the other side when you lie down.

Scott Chapin, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

+1

It doesn't sound like it....They seem soft to you and not a weird shape so I think you are fine....True CC is a firm to hard misshapen breast.....And if the patient doesn't have it by three months I usually breathe a little easier...

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Unlikely for capsular contracture to be diagnosed at 3 months after breast augmentation.

+1

The capsule around the implant is in place by three months but capsular contractrue is a different phenomenon that might just be emerging at 3 months but unlikely to be established.  The development of contracture is insidious and not usually associated with any discomfort.  Your symptoms should improve with time and are probably not a harbinger of a contracture to come.