I suffer from Lupus can I still get a tummy tuck? (photo)

Hi I suffer from Lupus which was diagnosed some time ago and in under control. I am have a apron kind of overhand on my lower stomach ever since I had my 3 children. So my question is would a tummy tuck be possible for me even with having Lupus? Thanks

Lupus and Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi Cindy,

We have performed tummy tuck and similar procedures on Lupus patients, with no complications thus far. Medications you are taking may have side effects (e.g. impaired immune system) that require consideration, but if your Lupus is suppressed then vasculitis etc. should not impact on your procedure.

Lupus does not prevent you from having a tummy tuck

+1

Lupus that is well under control is not going to prevent you from having a tummy tuck. Before surgery we normally have your specialist clear you for surgery (we'd need a letter summarizing your condition and stating that in his/her opinion you are stable to have the surgery - a formality when you are stable).

You would then be seen by one of our internists at the hospital (if deemed necessary during your consultation) and that's all. The rest of your experience would be no different than that of any other tummy tuck patient

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I suffer from Lupus can I still get a tummy tuck?

+1

If you can get medical clearance, you can have the procedure performed.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Baltimore tummy tuck and lupus

+1

I have done tummy tucks on patients with lupus, but they were all cleared by their internists first. Therefore, make sure all of you preop lab work is okay and that your doctors are all on board with your upcoming surgery.

Dr. Jeffrey E. Schreiber

Baltimore, MD

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS