Suddenly Have Lower Right Lip and Chin Numbness After Chin Implant. Why?

After I had my chin implant surgery, everything so going ok, but I still had a little swelling. It is 9 days post-op and I suddenly began to feel an aching pain around my right cheek. Then all of a sudden, my lower right lip and chin went numb!! I am concerned about this because I do not understand why it went numb 9 days post op and not right after surgery? Will the sensation come back? Thanks for your help!

Numbness after chin implant

+1

You are very early in your post operative course.  Nerves are the most unpredictable of tissue.  Numbness in this operation can take weeks to months to improve.  Please let your surgeon know your concerns.

Web reference: http://www.jjrothmd.com/procedures

Numbness After a Chin Implant- Be Patient

+1

The Mandibular Nerve comes out of a small hole in the lower jaw and gives sensation to the chin and lower lip on that side. A chin implant is placed along the lower border of the jaw and typically sits right underneath the nerve as it exits the jaw. The most likely scenario is that the end of the implant is pushed up against the nerve and is causing irritation and swelling that slowly irritated the nerve (over the 9 day period) to the point that it stopped working. The less likely possibility (given your description) is that there could be an infection that developed 9 days after surgery that has caused the irritation to the nerve.Given that there has not been an increase in redness and swelling, infection is unlikely. If it is just irritation from the implant, this will likely slowly get better over time. A course of oral steroids now may be helpful. It would also be a good idea to let your surgeon know what happened. It is possible that they may feel that repositioning the implant to take pressure off the nerve might be indicated. In any case, this should not be permanent. 

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon