Is Sudden Tightness and Swelling Normal After Breast Augmentation?

I had my BA done almost 2 wks ago. This morning I woke up and my left breast is swollen and hard. It reminds me of my breast after I had my child when I was engorged. Is this normal?

Swelling is Concerning

+2

This is not a normal occurrence.  This swelling may represent a fluid collection (hematoma or seroma).  This deserves immediate attention by your PS.

Dr. ES

New swelling two weeks after surgery

+2

It is not normal for the breast to swell 2 weeks after surgery all of a sudden, I would be worried if you tore something and have a hematoma. Please contact your surgeon immediately.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Sudden changes in the breast after augmentation are not normal.

+2

A sudden change in breast size after a breast augmentation is not normal. This could be due to bleeding, fluid accumulation, capsular contracture, or infection. You should see your board certified plastic surgeon immediately.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Sudden changes in breast appearance are never normal

+2

Sudden changes in breast size, shape and appearance are never normal, whether they occur shortly after or years after breast augmentation.

Shortly after is likely hematoma, seroma, infection.

Long term is can be capsular contracture, implant failure, breast cancer etc.

Evan Feldman, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Sudden tightness and swelling is not normal

+2

Contact your plastic surgeon to be seen today.  Bleeding or infection are two concerns that can cause your symptoms and need to be ruled out by examining you.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Post op Concern

+2

Contact your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible.  He may need to see you today to avoid complication issues.  Best wishes for a fast recovery!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Swelling after breast augment

+2

This swelling is not normal and you should see your PS asap. It could represent infection, early capsular contracture, bleeding, or a seroma. The treatment will depend on the diagnosis.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

+2

A sudden change as described could be a hematoma. Best suggestion is to call your surgeon, discuss what is going on over the phone, and let him/her suggest if you need to be seen. Today.

All the best. 

+1

The sudden tightness and swelling two weeks after breast augmentation most commonly is a sign of hematoma.  This is where really the patient needs to get in touch with the surgeon and most likely that hematoma needs to be drained.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

See Your Plastic Surgeon As Soon As Possible

+1

See your Plastic Surgeon as soon as possible.  This is usually not normal and could indicate a post-op surgical complication.

Donna Rich MD

Donna Rich, MD