Sudden Swelling and Pain in Left Breast 4 Weeks Post-op, What Could This Be?

I had 350cc of textured silicone under the muscle 4 1/2 weeks ago, as well as a full anchor lift. I'm 5'9/145 and was a deflated B and am hoping for a full C. This wk I woke up to pain in my left breast (mainly along the side under my armpit, much more swelling, and it is harder than the right (although neither are soft). My dr is in venezuela so I found one here in NY who sent me for an ultrasound that showed no hematoma/seroma. Could this be capsular contracture already? I've been massaging.

Surgery out of the country and now need medical advice.

+1

This is why I would caution patients to never have surgery out of the county. You really need to consult with a reputable board certified plastic surgeon to determine the cause of your breast concerns.  Be prepared for considerably higher fess as you are not a patient of the surgeon you are seeking post operative advice from.  Best of luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You may have seroma

+1

The pictures show more swelling of the left breast and larger breast. this can be due to infection,seroma or hematoma. Your right implant is positioned very high and your breast tissue falling off the implant.Exploration of the left breast would be warranted if the swelling persist.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

+1

If you are correct that this is a recent onset after 4 to 5 weeks than even with ultrasound showing no fluid or blood collection I might consider re exploration. Another thought is differing sized implants were used? But in my opinion based upon your written statement and posted photos I still believe re exploration of the pocket is needed. Expect to pay your New York surgeon a much higher fee because he is inheriting an out of country problem. As far as an infection I doubt because you do not have any signs or abnormal labs. As Dr Stone states this medical tourism can end up costing you much more than it is worth. 

Pain after breast implant surgery

+1

This could be an infection. You do not usually go to bed without any contracture and wake up in the morning with a full blown case of capsular contracture. The really important lesson here is that you had a problem after returning home from surgery outside the country without consistent follow up by the operating surgeon.

Medical tourism needs to be approached in the same way as you would for surgery down the street or around the corner in terms of choosing the surgeon an procedure and access to the doctor after surgery. You cannot lot a lower price make you ignore all the other important things that go into a successful operation. With the continued falling value of the US dollar relative to other currencies you will find that surgery in the US is not so much more expensive than other countries and may even be cheaper.

My patients who do not live in Los Angeles (some live in other countries) still keep in contact with me. Some email me years later just to say they are still happy with the result or to ask me a question.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD