Sudden Stinging Pain 4 Wks Post Breast Aug & Lift?

4 wks post breast aug with lift (silcone unders 250cc). This morn after my bath I was putting silcone cream on my incisions & a sudden unbearable stinging pain started, I though I got cream into an open wound but they have healed and its not the same hypersensive pain I have (burning). Its near my rt breast under incision and the area it stings is only the size of my finger & it only stings with touch. Could it be internal pain like a stich Ive pulled or a vein. There is no redness or swelling.

Nerve irritation

Your breasts are settling and the nerve has become irritated. You are still healing and the issues you have mentioned will subside over time. It is unlikely to be an infection but if you are concerned then you should speak with your plastic surgeon.  

27716 Cashford Cir
Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

Sub muscular convalescence is greater after breast augmentation.

Although your operation is four weeks in the rearview mirror the healing process is still active. You're likely to experience various symptoms decreasing in intensity and duration for several more months.

365 East Paces Ferry Road, NE
Atlanta, GA 30305

Sudden stinging pain 1 month post-op

Without redness or swelling, I would doubt that you have anything like an infection or suture problem, and more likely this is irritation of periareolar nerves which can certainly still be swollen and irritated at this stage following surgery.  Check with your surgeon for an exam of the area, but I wouldn't worry too much about it at this point, it will most likely resolve on its own.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD

9333 Genesee Ave
San Diego, CA 92121

Sensory nerve irritation after breast lift / augmentation

More than likely this is an irritation of a sensory nerve.  This is not unusual after any breast surgery.  There are many sensory nerves that supply the breast all it takes is to move in the wrong direction and you irritate a nerve.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

A photo would be helpful. Many patients have the odd sensation after breast surgery, and each is one of a kind. If you have an open wound, the stinging could be from the product application. Best bet is to call your surgeon with this question. 

1110 112th Avenue NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Pain 4 after breast augmentation with a lift

The pain that you are describing is the result of one of four things.  The most likely cause is a small area of delayed wound healing underneath the breast.  The second is a small  stitch that is not dissolving properly. The third is nerve regeneration pain.  The other potential cause is a small localized infection.  Without pictures or an examination, I cannot tell you which of these four things is the cause of your pain four weeks out from breast augmentation with a lift.

Sacha Obaid, MD

415 E. Southlake Blvd.
Southlake, TX 76092

Nerve sensations after surgery

It is difficult to say what is going on, but commonly after surgery, the sensations will imrpove and you may have some weird sensations that usually get better with time.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Stinging pain on incision?

Dear Rene,

As tissue heals, some nerve type pain issues may develop.  Some experience this as itching, some burning, some stinging.  Sometimes a collection of nerves becomes overgrown in the healing process.  This is likely what is happening.  As long as there is no redness or drainage, this should be fine with time.  I recommend massage to this area and follow up with your plastic surgeon to assess.  Massaging the area can desensitize it. There are other possibilities as well that they will assess for, but this seems most likely based on your story.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

8900 Raintree
Scottsdale, AZ 85260