Made a Sudden Movement

I'm 3 days post op from abdominalplasty. I made a sudden move and felt a sharp pain by my belly button, could I have popped a stitch?

Tummy Tuck Complication?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your mishap after tummy tuck surgery.

It would take a lot of force/trauma to do any real “damage”.  The only real peace of mind you will achieve is after you are  examined by your plastic surgeon.

Possible, but unlikely to "pop" a stitch following tummy tuck.

+1

There are usually many different pains in the postoperative period of a tummy tuck. A common concern is "popping" stitches from activity. In reality, it takes quite a forceful manuever to "pop" a stitch. If it is of a high concern, make sure you explain what you felt to your surgeon at your follow up appointment. Most surgeons use a very strong suture in the muscle repair that is rarely compromised by postoperative activity - even accidental activity.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Recovering From Abdominoplasty

+1

The first few days after a tummy tuck are the most uncomfortable.  The pain is primarily from the repair of the diastasis recti, the separation of the muscles in the midline. It is not uncommon to have a sudden sharp pain after being overly active that is the result of muscle spasm.  This goes away gradually over several weeks.  It is unusual to break open the muscle repair with a single over active move, but it is important to keep your activity level low.  Avoid use of your abdominal muscles, avoid high impact activity and keep your heart rate at a moderate to low level for a four to six weeks following the surgery. It is unlikely that you have jeopardized your result and hopefully you will find the result worth the downtime needed to protect it. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD