Sudden Increase in Breast Size After Being Strained?

I have had implants for 7 years. A week ago my dog yanked her chain while I was walking her. I was sore after. I continued to work out. Yesterday I noticed my breast was swollen. It is now a full inch larger then my other breast. It's tender to the touch because the skin is pulled so tight. The breast itself doesn't look like it has moved, but I don't know what is causing the swelling. Could it just be a muscle strain that will go away with rest? Or could my implant have shifted? Or?

Change in breast size after trauma

+1

Hearing a description of your events, the most worrisome issue is a hematoma  (bleeding/blood clot) or fluid collection within your breast pocket.  Even several years after your procedure, traumatic events could instigate an episode of bleeding.  Hematomas certainly increase the rate of capsular contracture in the future.  If your breast continued to enlarge or became painful, an immediate evaluation is warranted.  However, after 1 week from the inciting event, I would recommend examination in the near future by a plastic surgeon.  This would be the only way to determine what the cause may be (hematoma, fluid collection, or swelling).  In the meantime, I would place ice packs and make an appointment to see a plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Sudden swelling after breast aug

+1

You most likely have a little bleeding after the dog chain incident. I suggest you see your ps. It is not an emergency but try to visit within the next week to see if you need to have the hematoma evacuated.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

You may have a hematoma

+1

You may have torn the capsule and developed a hematoma. This is not common, but can happen. You should see a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Sudden Swelling After Breast Augmentation

+1

Hope you are doing better. From your description there are two possibilities. It has been 7 years since your surgery but a hematoma (bleeding) due to a tear in the capsule around the implant is rare but possible. The other possibility is edema and swelling around the implant or capsule due to a strain of the muscle or tissue surrounding the implant.

It would be wise to seek the advice and be examined by your surgeon. An Ultrasound may help in the diagnosis.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Sudden increase in breast size

+1

Without seeing a photo of your chest its difficult to know what is going on but if the difference in size is significant, I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon sooner rather than later. I would be concerned about a hematoma (collection of blood). A seroma (fluid collection) is another possibility. Both of these are likely to need some intervention to avoid long term complications. Another possibility is just swelling of your tissues (breast and muscle) which will resolve on its own, but better safe than sorry. Go get checked.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sudden Increase in Breast Size after Strain

+1

The sudden increase in size after trauma could signal a hematoma or a fluid collection.  Any concerns like this should be addressed by a plastic surgeon.

Swelling after breast augmentation

+1

Noticeable swelling seven years after surgery can be due to a few things. You probably tore the capsule which caused some sudden inflammation and swelling. If so, it should resolve over the next 2-3 weeks. Taking some Ibuprofen would help. It could also be an early sign of infection though, especially if you should start to develop any redness, fever, or general feelings of illness. If any of these even remotely begin to appear you should be seen by a Plastic surgeon immediately. It would be best to touch base with your own surgeon if possible.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Increase in Breast Size 7 Years after Breast Augmentation?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you have been experiencing 7 years after breast augmentation surgery. I think that you will be best off seeking in-person medical attention with your primary care physician or plastic surgeon. Differential diagnoses does include muscle spasm, breast implant displacement, and/or fluid accumulation (seroma/hematoma).  Again, in person physical examination and possible imaging studies (for example ultrasound) may be necessary to provide you with a definitive diagnosis.