Sudden Fat Loss Right Under Cheek Bones? (photo)

Recently I've noticed a lack of fat right under my cheek bones. It extends from the inner corner of my eye to under my cheekbone. At first I thought it was because of overall fat loss in my body since I was dieting. I've gained some weight to see if that might fix the issue, my face got rounder but the loss of fat in that particular area is still there. It's almost as if my face has a sagging look now and I'm only 24. What can cause this? What are some effective procedures?

Fillers before Fat transfer or implant for Facial Volume Loss

+1

When one notices greater hollow or experiences facial volume loss, we need to replenish volume somehow. While fat transfer or facial implant may be attractive given superior longevity, I personally believe temporary fillers such as Radiesse, Sculptra, or HA fillers such as Juvederm or Perlane should be performed first. Fat transfer often can result in uneven results after a period of time due to possible uneven rate of fat graft breakdown and it would be tricky to remove surgical implant if you are not thrilled with the clincal outcome. For most cases, I like to use Radiesse to provide instant gratification and consider Sculptra as a long-term project for maintenance. Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus is fine option as well if one needs a peace of mind for reversibility with hyaluronidase.

Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Sudden Fat Loss Right Under Cheek Bones?

+1

Aesthetically speaking the cheek bones are quite small and flat and the buccal fat appears to have atrophied just below the cheeks making that area appear gaunt.  From the photo, I'd suggest cheek augmentation using a temporary filler (I perfer Perlane) or a permanent augmentation with Cheek Implants.  With the latter, I would decrease the fatty tissues in the nasolabial folds as they tend to block the anterior shape of the cheeks.  Be sure to select a plastic and cosmetic surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of naturally, more attractive cheeks and face.

Change in Cheek Contour

+1

Although I've seen this type of groove in patients as they age, I've not seen this in young men like yourself. Is there a family history of this cheek contour? I would fill this groove with injections of the patient's own fat or using fillers such as Radiesse or Restylane.

+1

Posted photos demonstrate specific fat loss in sub malar and infra orbital zone. Cause hard to state over the internet without at least an in person examination. Treatment is fat grafting if you have donor fat areas. Seek expert in Fat Grafts. 

Fix fat loss of cheeks

+1

If there is no correctable underlying cause for this change, fat transfer or cheek implants should do well for you. There are other injectible fillers that might be recommended by others on this site. I am just more familiar with fat injections and silicone cheek implants. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon