Can Sudden Bulging 11 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck Be Caused by Weak Obliques? (photo)

I am almost 11 weeks post op full tt with muscle repair. Yesterday out of no where I had a large amount of bulging. To this point my tummy has been completely flat without having to holdit in. Now the only way it is flat is to hold it in. I went to see my PS today and she said my muscle repair is intact and doing fine. She said my obliques are weak and this is causing the bulge. She suggested working the obliques to remedy the problem. Should I seek a second opinion?

Bulging after Tummy Tuck?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the  complication you are experiencing after tummy tuck surgery. Although direct examination will be necessary to provide you precise advice,  it is possible that the “bulging” that you are experiencing is related to disruption of the abdominal wall plication.  Otherwise, a significant fluid accumulation ( such as a seroma) may be responsible.

With all due respect, when a patient experiences a significant change that you have experienced,  it is probably not related to “weak obliques”. Working out the oblique muscles will not remedy the problem.

Although I would generally suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon,  if you continue to have doubts about the logic behind her recommendations, you may want to consider  seeking a second opinion by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon in your area.

Tummy bulging 11 weeks post-surgery.

+2

Dear  Walking Momma,

Although your pictures are just showing the lateral view of your tummy, imaging of the abdominal area is very helpful.

It could be that some sutures did pop open or there could be a separation between the left and right side of the rectus abdominis muscle (diastasis recti).

I am sorry for what you are going through and thank you for sharing interesting photographs.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Can Sudden Bulging 11 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck Be Caused by Weak Obliques?

+2

The photos are impressive. Could it be a recti repair dehiscence? Best to have a scan to see if the diastasis reoccurred.