How Do I Successfully Choose Between Various Injectable Dermal Fillers Such As Juvederm or Restylane?

What is the most cost-effective method? (Juvederm or Restylane?)

Which filler to choose?

+1
It's easy to be confused about the fillers. It's really not your job to have to know which one to choose. The choice that's important for you to make is the selection of physician to inject the filler for you. Always choose a physician who is very experienced with fillers. Get recommendations from friends, or check out the physicians in your community who are participating on RealSelf.

The most experienced physician injectors will use all the available fillers and be able to explain the differences between each one. They each have very specific characteristics and I don't consider them to be interchangeable in general. When there are circumstances where it truly doesn't matter which one is best, then I'll tell my patient, and the decision may be based on cost of the product or longevity or prior patient experience with one vs another.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane

+1

You should consult an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon to discuss which areas require more volume.  The physician will then decide which filler to use depending on the areas being treated.  Although Juvederm and Restylane are similar products, there are some differences that make one better suited for some areas than others.  An experienced injector is aware of these differences.  The cost is about the same for both.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Choose Injector not Filler

+1

The choice that you should make is to ensure that you find an experienced and expert injector who understands that you want.  The choice between Juvederm and Restylane is more based on an injector's preference. For a more cost effective treatment ask the injector about the loyalty program for patients in the case of Juvederm and the quanity injected program for restylane. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Juvederm and Radiesse are great for filling fine lines

+1

I usually choose fillers based on the area to be treated and what the patient is trying to accomplish.  The hyaluronic acid fillers, like Restylane and Juvederm are line fillers which work well in nasolabial folds, marrionett lines, lips and tear troughs.  Juvederm lasts about a year and Restylane lasts about 6 months. 

Missy Clifton, MD
Bentonville Dermatologist

When to use what filler

+1

What filler is used depends on a few things: physician preference, the area of face being filled, and how much volume loss there is.  Generally, Restylane and Juvederm are very similar products are both are excellent choices for tear troughs, lips, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines.  Radiesse is a great filler for patients that need more volume.  It works well in the mid face and marionette lines, but is not a good option for lips.  Sculptra is very effective in re-volumizing gradually and naturally and requires multiple sessions.  It can be used in temples, cheeks, along the jawline, and in deep folds, but is also not a good option for lips.  A board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon can explain the options based on your specific facial volume needs. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Miami Beach Dermatologist

Different kinds of fillers

+1

There are many kinds of fillers and many companies making very similar ones. For instance, Perlane (by Medicis) and Juvederm (by Allergan) are very similar. If anyone tells you to get one over the other, go to a different doctor. An ethical surgeon will explain all of the facts. The decision is only partially up to you. For instance, if you wanted Restylane for your nasolabial folds and absolutely would not do any other filler, I would tell you that I am not the right plastic surgeon for you since it is the wrong filler. Anyone who agrees to do it, is not being honest with you. Often, fillers themselves are the wrong choice and surgery may be a better one. The final decision should be geared toward what you want and what is possible but only someone offering all of the options should be having the discussion with you. Plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery are highly trained for many years in all treatment options.

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Choosing Between Various Dermal Fillers

+1

Your don't pick the product, pick the physician. Multiple products and combinations of products are available which are successfully used by physicians depending on their preferences and each patients needs.

The best way to choose between Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse etc. is to see a specialist.

+1

You should have a consultation with a respected doctor in your area who has extensive experience with all of the filler.   He/She will be in the best position to guide you in your choice of fillers for the areas you want to enhance.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Start by selecting an experienced injector!

+1

I agree with all the prior posts - Pick an expert injector to start --  Go to their website and look at their training - then go to the individual product websites and you will find that some of the companies will list "expert injectors" - for doctors who have injected many patients or who are "official trainers" for the company -  Then at consultation show your doctor your areas of concern -- each filler has subtle differences and really can be considered "paint brushes in the artist's toolbox" -  Let your expert injector pick the right filler for you.

Elizabeth F. Callahan, MD
Sarasota Dermatologist

Choosing the appropriate filler

+1

There are many different filler options in the U.S. and there are several more that will be coming in the next year or two.  Some of the most popular and versatile fillers are made from the same ingredient, hyaluronic acid, such as Juvederm and Restylane to name a few.  There are differences in these types of fillers that make certain ones more appropriate for injection in specific areas for the most natural look.  If the wrong filler is chosen, the results can be a disaster and possibly irreversible.  In many patients, I will use 2 different fillers in the same treatment session if we are treating multiple areas.  The bottom line is that you, the patient, should not need to make the decision of which filler to use and you certainly should not choose a particular product just because it is the least expensive.  If your injecting physician is experienced, he or she will choose the most appropriate filler for your individual needs and work with your budget to make sure you get the best treatment  for natural and long-lasting results. 

Nancy Samolitis, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon