Any Successful Tummy Tuck Photos with Patients That Have a Cholesystectomy Scar? (photo)

I had a Cholesystectomy operation 5 years ago, 3 years ago I had a 12lb baby to which my stomach is ruined from 2 c sections, my abdominal wall needs to be repaired. I was wondering if anyone had any successful stories and photos of this procedure. Thanks.

Slight increase risk for skin problems in abdominoplasty with old-fashioned gallbladder scar.

+1

Fortunately I don't see too many patients these days with sub costal gallbladder scars. In the past this is a common obstacle for abdominoplasty. The patient's generally did quite well but there is some risk for wound healing issues on the right side of the lower abdominal wall. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to get them to you.

Any Successful Tummy Tuck Photos with Patients That Have a Cholesystectomy Scar?

+1

Dear Ibexi,

Thank you for your post.  Laparascopic Cholesystectomy has been so prevalent that it is very rare when a patient comes in with a 'subcostal' scar.  However, if this is a old scar, the likelyhood of having any problems is very low.  The scar will be lower than it currently is, but a safe procedure can be done.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

+1

Because most cholecystectomies are done by laparaoscopy for the past 25 years, this does not come up too often today. However this was very common until the late 1980ies, and most of us who have been practicing that long have done numerous tummy tucks on patients with this "sub-costal" incision.

The procedure can be done safely, albeit a bit more conservatively to avoid risks to the skin's blood supply. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Cholecystectomy scars do not preclude you from having a tummy tuck

+1

but you would have to accept some compromises such as a higher scar and make sure your surgeon uses discontinuous undermining as it best preserves blood supply which is critical in minimizing your risks.  And anchor incisions also allows you to have a full tummy tuck without much concern for risks from your pre-existing scars.  Discuss these options with your surgeon.

Curtis Wong, MD

A tummy tuck after cholecystectomy

+1

Greetings, there are no contraindications for you to have a tummy tuck, as I can see  you really need it because you have a lot of sagging cutaneous, but you have to  know that the  prior cholecystectomy scar will be lowered and will be more visible,   I believe  that final results  would  be very good in your case

Jose Luis Acosta Collado, MD

+1

Hello Ibexi

Was you operation a straight forward one or did you have any complications?

Yes, you can have a Tummy Tuck and repair your abdominal muscles. You scar will be pulled down and hence will be more visible. There is always a risk to the circulation of the skin. I have a colleague who has done a few with good results, so I know that it is possible

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty after upper abdominal operations

+1

Hi Ibexi

Tummy tucks after upper abdominal operations are a little more risky due to blood supply, but I have done several that have done very well. Unfortunately I don't have their photos up on my website, but they are some of the photos that I show patients on a regular basis.

Good Luck

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Gavin Sandercoe, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after cholecystectomy scar

+1

Yes it can be performed. It must be performed carefully without trying to get the abdomen too tight at closure. The scar cuts off the blood supply to the lower abdomen under the scar and it can be a problem healing if made too tight. I would recommend the surgeon you pick is familiar with this and is careful on how tight your skin is made.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Successful Tummy Tuck with Cholecystectomy Scar

+1

A tummy tuck can certainly be performed with your cholecystectomy scar.  Just realize that the scar will get pulled down lower on your abdomen.  I have done many TTs like this without a problem.

Rigo Mendoza, MD