How to Have a Successful Rhinoplasty Consultation? Who to Trust?

I have had several rhinoplasty consultations for a primary. I still have not found the right surgeon. One was a phone consultation that was short and not enough information was provided. After an in-person one, I asked more questions by email and was sent photos but it isn't all clear to me. I am very interested in rhinoplasty but I'm having a hard time choosing a surgeon when there are so many. I live in Dallas. Money isn't a factor. I am willing to pay for the best. Who can I trust?

Finding the right rhinoplasty surgeon is not always easy

+1

I have a post on my website discussing this issue.  It is hard to find the surgeon who is right for you.  There is no best surgeon, there is however a surgeon who is right for you. First step is make sure the surgeon is credentialled and board certified.  Next make sure the surgeon has a primary focus on rhinoplasty.  Lastly, visit some surgeons and see who you trust most. 

If after this process you cannot find a suitable surgeon it may be that it is not time for you to have rhinoplasty.  Be patient and the result will be the correct one.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

A lot of the trust established will depend upon the confidence you have in the surgeon and the body of work as well as the manner in which questions are answered as well as responsiveness.  I try to return phone calls and emails within a few hours despite performing up to 30 surgeries each week.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

You should find a Rhinoplasty Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive nose and face.

Selecting a rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

There are many excellent rhinoplasty surgeons where you live. It is a good idea to go on a few consults until you find a surgeon you are comfortable with. Make sure they are experienced and you see many examples of their work. Sometimes it takes several consults to figure out who the right surgeon is, but when you find him or her, you will feel confident of your choice. Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

How to Identify a Rhinoplasty Specialist

+1

It can be really difficult to identify a rhinoplasty specialist. Essentially you are looking for a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who can show that they have extensive experience performing cosmetic rhinoplasty. But you will have to act a little like a business and having a framework to use is really helpful.  

We have an article on our website (see link below) which will help you learn what clues to look for. Also see the video below which highlights the importance of a quality consultation which includes computer imaging. The pre operative consultation is by far the most important part of the process (aside from the surgery itself) if the patient and surgeon are to be on the same page about what changes are possible and appropriate.

Having multiple consultations is recommended. There are a couple of excellent rhinoplasty surgeons in Dallas so meet with 2 or 3 of them and then make your decision.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty -choosing the right surgeon.

+1

Rhinoplasty -choosing the right surgeon is very important. Choose a very experienced surgeon who does natural noses and meet with a few of his patients. Imaging is just a drawing and not results!.

Who to trust to perform a Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty should be performed by a Board Certified Facial Plastic or Plastic surgeon but one whose major focus is Rhinoplasty. In general you should seek out a surgeon that performs at least 50 Rhinoplasties a year and has done so for at least 10 years. The surgeon should be able to show you several(>3 or4) before and after photos of his work and they should be willing to give you names of 2 or 3 people who have had a Rhinopladty with that surgeon.

Devinder S. Mangat, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon in Dallas

+1

You are really lucky that you live in Dallas. There are many extremely talented rhinoplasty surgeons there.  Gunter, Rohrich, and Byrd immediately come to mind though I'm sure there are many others. Keep asking questions and going for consults. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Meeting expectations in rhinoplasty surgery

+1

You want a plastic surgeon who will listen to your concerns and explains the surgery in a manner that you understand.  Computer imaging is also very helpful as an educational tool. In our office we use the Vectra 3D system.  This allows the patient to see the projected result from both the front and side views.   Referral from trusted friends or members of the medical community are also helpful.  In the end you want a surgeon with experience and one you trust to perform the operation to meet your expectations. 

+1

The bottom line is that you should keep looking. You will want to find a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon. Either way, rhinoplasty should be one of the most common procedures that they perform. You will want to see many before and after photos of patients with similar nasal concerns. As you mentioned, you will also want to trust your surgeon and the advice that they offer you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon