How to Exercise Abs After Successful Extended TT W/ Lipo -- Abs, Hips, Thighs

I had above surgery 10 months ago-thrilled with my results. Question-have seen conflicting answers on this subject. I worked out regularly prior to surgery and after - 4 x week, 30 - 45 minutes cardio (plus running outside), nautilus equipment (arms, etc.) and ab work (crunches, side crunches, etc.). I am at a point where I am doing the same, except some of the ab work (not as many reps). Some say working out "enhances" tt/lipo results and some say it may "weaken" ab results. Need some answers.

Exercise after tummy tuck and lipo improves your results!

+1

Your abdominal muscle repair has completely healed at this point, and exercise only strengthens and defines your abdominal contour. It sounds as if you have always had good muscle tone and definition, and now that the loose skin (which you cannot tighten or "exercise away" no matter how hard or vigorously you work out) has been removed via tummy tuck, you are fully able to resume training at any intensity desired.

Exercising in the early post-operative period after tummy tuck (with muscle repair) can cause sutures to "tear through" the fascial layers that are tightened, and this can weaken the abdominal wall or cause a loss of integrity of the fascial layers (hernia), which is why plastic surgeons restrict muscular activities (such as sit-ups or crunches) for 6 weeks or longer after tummy tucks that include muscle plication (most). Nobody I know restricts even the most vigorous muscular activity beyond 3 months post-op; most of us have our patients avoid sit-ups or crunches for 6 weeks or so, gradually resuming normal abdominal exercise routines after that time. Full scar maturation can take 6-12 months, but this is not the same as reaching maximal tensile strength in an abdominal wall muscle plication.

Go for it and best wishes!

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal exercising is beneficial following a tummy tuck

+1

Congratulations on excellent results and desire to maintain excellent shape/conditioning. At this point in time, there should be no restriction in your activities including the abdominal area. As you are long past surgical repair, abdominal work should serve to maintain/improve the muscles and contour rather than causing a deterioration of appearance.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

+1

Dear 6345anon,

I am happy to hear that you are pleased with your results. After ten months, you should be able to exercise without restrictions. Maintaining your weight and exercising regularly (including core, abdomen, and lower back) should help optimize your shape.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Exercise after Tummy Tuck.

+1

Dear 6345anon,

At 10 months post-op you should be able to exercise without restrictions. It seems you are doing that and are back to your pre-op routine with the exception that you are not doing as many reps. In my opinion, any exercises that allow you to strengthen you abs and core will be beneficial to your end result. The exception to this would be if you had any type of hernia repair or reconstruction of a severe rectus diastasis. Your surgeon should be able to guide you in your post-op exercise regime. We have operated on many professional trainers and very active athletes and in my experience, they get excellent results with resumption of pre-op activity. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon