Has Anyone Had Any Success Treating Dermal Melasma in Fitzpatrick IV Using Laser?

I have terrible melasma - I used Obagi which made my condition worse and pigmentation has come back darker. It is very depressing. I am considering Revlite Q-Switched Nd:Yag laser has anyone used this or ANY laser to help with his awful condition? I've basically ruled out Fraxel and IPL because I've read on numerous occassions that these worsen the condition. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Melasma treatments

+1

Hey Carla!

You are right Melasma is a very common but difficult problem to treat!

I would avoid any laser treatments especial in the climate zones that expose you to much sun since once you get treated with a laser and are exposed to the sun the Melasma may recur and actully be worse.

Tretinoin (Retin-A), Bleachers such as Hydroquinon 4% and mild type of topical steroids help reduce the pigment!

Unfortunately we have no cure for Melasma!

Your most importent line of defense is Sun protection with an SPF of at least 30 and above with Titanium an Zinc!

Good luck !!!

Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon