Can I Get Submuscular Implants by Circumareolar Mastopexy? (photo)

I have tubular breasts. I can tel that my breast look good with a smaller and lifted areola, but still small. So, I want to get an implant too. I have researched and I think that submuscular implants look better on me. Although, I don't want more scars. Can I get my implants under the muscle without getting more cuts?

Submuscular or subglandular implants can be placed through the same incision. There is no difference in scars.

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

Submuscular or subglandular implants can be placed through the same incision. There is no difference in scars. Usually a circumareolar approach is necessary to correct the nipple size and position as well as allow access for placing the implants.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

Submusclar implants by circumareola mastopexy

+1

The best approach for your tubular breasts is a circumareola approach.  Through this you can have your nipple size reduced, breast tissue elevated and implant placed sub-pectorally.  Using this technique there are NO vertical scars and the retro-pectoral position has the least incident of capsular contracture and is most stable over time.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Periareolar incision preferred for Tubular Breast Correction and Breast Augmentation

+1

It makes perfect sense and you should have no problem with by using your periareolar scar to place  a breast implant. For tubular breast surgery with augmentation, I strongly suggest you make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American  Board of Plastic Surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Peri-areolar breast lift incisions and placement of implant

+1

Yes you should have no problem placing an implant through your previose incisions and place the implants in a dual plane with upper part of the implant under the muscle and the inferior portion under the breast tissue. More natural look as well reduce capsular formation.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Can I Get Submuscular Implants by Circumareolar Mastopexy?

+1

Yes that is possible but you need a more detailed examination and understanding that can only be obtain in an in person consultation. 

Tubular breasts

+1

You have beautifully illustrated the goals and results of surgery. I wish I had thought of that. Although putting the implant under the muscle sounds like and is more surgery than putting it on top of the muscle it should not change the size of the skin incision. The size of the skin scar that remains is more dependent on the skin removal pattern required to reshape and reposition the nipple areola complexes.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

+1

Yes, that is an excellent option for you and I find that is my favored technique for your breast shape, but do go under the muscle. When done correctly with adequate muscle release and a dual plane technique, you should have little or no significant movement of the implants during physical activity.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast aug + Lift for tubular breasts

+1

You've done a nice job of simulating the peri-areolar mastopexy ("donut lift") with the tape!  As far as the implant goes, if you choose to go under the muscle, please be aware that if you flex your pectoral muscles, the implants will move.  Some patients find this disturbing because breasts aren't supposed to "animate".  Also, if you like to work out your upper body, strong pectoral flexion over time will cause the implants to drift laterally and inferiorly.  To avoid these issues, consider going on top of the muscle with silicone implants in the subfascial plane.  I have pictures of a woman with similar breasts as yours if you would like to see what you can expect from the surgery. Hope it goes well!

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breasts

+1

You have correctly determined your issue of tubular breasts. Going through an areolar incision will keep the scars to a minimum, and you shouldn't need any more scars than around the areola. The areolar reduction will serve as the lifting needed, and the use of a dermal wagon-wheel type suture will help to maintain the lift. Good luck with your procedure.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon