Too Much Fat Removed After Chin Lipo

I had sub-mental liposuction a year ago, and the doctor took out too much fat in the area at the base (where neck meets jaw) and there is a triangle area which is depressed and was hard to photograph, basically it looks like a hole as if someone's thumb is pressing up and people have commented on it, also now my glands are more visible. Could a fat transfer fix this? It's just the one area. Should the surgeon who did it try to fix it? Price estimate for area? I can't believe it happened!

Irregularities in neck after liposuction.

The area under you chin can easily be corrected with a simple fat transfer.   Most surgeon substantially work with a patient with a complication so there is little if any expense.  Go back to your surgeon.   The gland being more visable is a potential in liposuction of the neck.  It is possible to partially resect or remove the gland.  Discuss this with you surgeon.  Study you pre and post op photos and tell you surgeon what you donot like.  Good luck and happy Valentines.   Dr Comons

Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

1515 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94306

Liposuction of neck

Liposuction of the neck is often a subtle thing and too much fat can surely be removed in the central area of the neck which can lead to contour deformities or irregularities.   It is difficult to see this area you describe in the picture because of the angle of the photograph, but from your description is sounds like you may have a contour depression in the central neck.  My recommendation is to go to a board certified plastic surgeon with experience with corrective secondary liposuction (revision liposuction).  I routinely perform corrective or secondary liposuction procedures but not everyone does, so ask your surgeon for their honest recommendation.

Basically you would likely need a revision liposuction of the neck with small cannulas, also using a special cannula to "free up" the skin and any scar tissue and possibly using some fat injections to "fill" in any contour defect. You are also very right in your description that when too much fat is removed, the "glands" (submandibular glands) become more visible. I see this kind of problem more commonly when patients have had "laser" liposuction in the neck, but the treatment is the same.  Sometimes fat injections have to be done more than once, but usually a nice correction can be achieved in the right hands.  I hope this helps!

James F. Boynton, M.D., F.A.C.S.

James F. Boynton, MD, FACS

1900 St. James Place
Houston, TX 77056

Fat grafting is the best option

The treatment would be fat grafting to replace the lost fat. You can try Dr Rigotti in Italy. He has done fat grafting to the breast post radiation that is much harder than your case.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Neck irregularity after liposuction

Fat grafting is one possibility and probably the cheapest, especially if you return to the original surgeon.  However, scarring in the area can make it difficult for fat to be injected, or to be smooth.  In a young  generally thin person there is a better chance of fat grafting working.  In someone older or with poor skin tone, other surgical manipulation might be necessary.

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

1825 Samuel Morse Drive
Reston, VA 20190

Too much fat removed

It is hard to tell from your photo the extent of your issue.  However, fat grafting is likely the best option.  Another option may be serial Sculptra injections.  Your best bet would be to go back to your original surgeon.  Price vary widely from city to city and doctor to doctor, but you are probably looking at sub $5K range for this procedure.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Too Much Fat Removed After Liposuction

Seek a qualified PS for a fat graft to the depression. Fee range in MIAMI $1800 to $2800. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Dent in neck after liposuction

Contour irregularities is a known risk with liposuction.  If you surgeon is experienced in fat transfer, that would be your best  bet, and likely the most cost effective for you. Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

320 Superior Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Too much fat removed on neck liposuction

Too much fat removal after neck liposuction is a classic problem.  The correction is fat grafting into the hollow areas.  The original surgeon should be your least expensive option to get the correction.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

676 South Bluff Street
St. George, UT 84770

Contour irregularities can occur after liposuction.  It just isn't so simple to tell when one area will be slightly thinner than others.  Discuss fat grafting with your surgeon.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

11020 RCA Center Dr.
Palm Beach Gardens , FL 33410

Repair of dents after liposuction in the neck

Neck contours are very subtle and when liposuction is performed in the neck, only very small amounts of fat are removed. Without care dents are easily seen though the thin skin. Dents can be repaired with fat grafts taken from elsewhere and this is the best approach to try. Your surgeon should be able to handle the repair if you have chosen well, otherwise if you have lost confidence let another have a look.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016