Subglandular Saline Implant Deflation in Doctor's Office, What Happens to Shell Until Removed?

Considering implant deflation in the office. What happens to the shell after saline is removed since my implants are NOT behind my muscle? Will they just lay flat until I decide to have them removed or shrivel up and be noticeable? I wanted to explant but found out I'm pregnant so doctor offered to deflate and then remove after my pregnancy.

Saline Breast Implant Deflation

+3

Yes, if the saline is removed, the shell will just remain empty and can be remove or replaced when you are ready for it.

Good Luck

Deflating saline implants

+2

Congratulations on the upcoming birth of your child.  I have deflated the saline implants of several women when their breasts have gotten too large during pregnancy.  One was my own nurse.  The implant will intially be flat, but the capsule may contract once the volume is gone and cause folding of the deflated implant.  Sharp corners may be visible thrugh the skin in thinner patients, but if your breasts have increased in size with the pregnancy you may not feel much.  It has worked well for my patients. 

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Deflate implants

+2

Why bother now while pregnant. Why not wait until after you have  delivered?  I think that should be considered.  It is probably safer.

Retention Of Deflated Saline Breast Implant

+2

Simple needle aspiration deflation of a saline breast implant is perfectly safe. Leaving the deflated implant in is also fine and it will cause no problems until the time comes when it is more convenient for you to remove it after your pregnancy.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Saline Implants and Deflation

+2

Dear Mandeline,  Because the implant shell is designed to be smooth and minimally rippled when it is filled, once the saline is removed, the shell will collapse but usually not lay flat.  Most commonly there are some edges that may be felt and even some folds; particularly since your implants are under the breast and not the muscle.  While this can be irritating, it is harmless and can wait until after your delivery for your explantation.  Best of luck with your pregnancy and to a healthy, happy baby!

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Deflated saline implant OK for now

+2

The deflated saline implant will indeed just sit there and not cause any problems if pregnancy keeps you from removing it. It will just lay flat and stay as is until you can get to it. You can have the implants removed quite easily under local in your third trimester. The deflation idea is meddelsome and we would leave the remaing implant 'as is' until time to remove both.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Saline breast implant shell after deflation

+2

The shell balls up like a wonton and you can feel it insdie the pocket.  It is harmless and doesn't go anywhere.  Good luck.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Deflated saline implants

+1

Occasionally it is necessary to deflate saline implants during pregnancy if the breast get too large. This is perfectly safe and the silicone shell will remain in the pocket until you decide to have them out or replaced. However, they can be removed at any time under local anesthesia.

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Saline shell after deflation.

+1

The shell may be palpable as it is folded up inside the pocket. Typically, it's not visible. All of this depends on the amount of breast tissue you have overlying the implants of course. Have your surgeon show you a deflated saline implant to give you an idea of what they look like when they are not filled.  This alone may answer your question.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Deflated implants

+1

There should be no problem.they are a foreign body so I guess one has to worry about a possible infection but have the bay and good luck.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon