Subglandular Saline Versus Gel Silicone Breast Implants

I was set on getting saline implants until I whent to my doctor, I wanted to get saline under my muscle but because of my nipple position my doctor would not do it under the muscle, I am getting 550 cc I am a 34B cup 5'10 and weight 165lb from B/A pic a saline implant would look to fake and water ballon looking, I have decided to go for silicone because I really want a natural looking breast but I am still a little worried about the silicone, would it really make a big difference?

+1

In general, gel implants feel more natural, but appearance is comparable with saline implants. Generally, submuscular placement is superior to subglandular. However, an in person examination and consultation is necessary to verify the recommendations in your case.

+1

If going for subglandular placement to restore volume in an otherwise thin breast, you will be better off aesthetically with a silicone implant.

Silicone vs Saline

+1

Both implants would look the same, but the silicone gel implants would feel more natural to palpation.

Subglandular vs. submuscular implants

+1

I suspect your doctor recommended against submuscular implants because the sagginess of your breasts will make your breasts hang off the implants, very unnatural looking. With breasts that sag a lift is often required to avoid this look. Subglandular implants can look very natural in the right patient and often a lift is not required. Patients need to have thick breast tissue and a silicone gel implant would be recommended for the most natural feel.

Daniel R. Knight, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Silicone versus Saline Breast Implants; Submuscular versus Subglandular placement

+1

In genearl, submuscular is the best choice for breast implant placement.  Additionally, for a natural feel, silicone is much better than saline.  However, these are all choices that you and your plastic surgeon need to discuss.  I think it would be reasonable for you to have a few more consultations with different surgeons so that you feel fully comfortable with the advice that you are receiving and that surgery that you decide to have.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Many issues to consider in deciding on saline vs silicone

+1

As always, no one can give you specific advice without seeing you personally. In general, silicone implants feel more natural, but may not look a lot different. Much of this depends on the fill volume of the saline implants; at low fill, they are soft but ripply, at high fill, they are firm and too round. The most important thing though is coverage. If you have an adequate amount of breast tissue and a thick enough fat layer, then it won't make as much of a difference. What I am most concerned about from your description is the choice to go subglandular because of nipple position, especially with large implants. They may be more prone to dropping over time and end up like a "rock in a sock" as some patients have described it. My personal philosophy is that the decision to go over or under should be made independently from the decision about whether or not to do a lift because of nipple position.

Richard Baxter, MD

Subglandular vs submuscular implants

+1

You need to visit some other doctors because the one you met is possibly not telling you all you need to know.  Above the muscle implants will not lift your nipple and will end up as a ball in sock look later which is matronly.  Without photos, I would bet you would do beter with below the muscle gel or saline and a lift.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS