Subglandular anatomical to subglandular smooth round? (photo)

I have 290cc anatomical implant over muscle now and I am very happy with the placement and look but I have rippling in my cleavage, don't like the hard ripples from the hard shell of Natrelle implants and I want softer breasts. I have a natural 34b and the difference between my own tissue and the implant feels unpleasant. So I have decided to switch to round mentor implants. My surgeon recommends me to switch to smooth mentor. Is the risk for CC over muscle with smooth implants really that big?

Capsular Contracture With Subglandular Augmentation

+1

To answer your question simply, yes, the rate of capsular contracture is that high with subglandular augmentation. Frankly I cannot understand why anyone is still doing subglandular augmentations. I see many patients who have undergone subglandular augmentations 20 years ago and now have capsular contracture. If you decide to have the implants over the muscle then at least use textured implants which does reduce the rate of CC.

Today we know that with smooth implants placed under the muscle the rate of capsular contracture is about 5%. With textured implants is about 2%. Make the right decision and have the implants placed under the mucles.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Subglandular anatomical to subglandular smooth round?

+1

Switching to a smooth implant under the muscle will result in far less rippling.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast augmentations and breast augmentation revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Subglandular anatomical to subglandular smooth round with Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Given your concerns about breast implant rippling, you should at least consider replacement of the breast implants in the sub muscular position and/or the use of acellular dermal matrix. Otherwise, regardless of the type of breast implant used, it is likely that you will continue to have the the same dissatisfaction. In my opinion, the specific type of breast implant used, has little to do with the potential occurrence of breast implant encapsulation.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

+1

In my over the internet opinion I might try layered fat grafting to correct the ripples before an implant exchange.

Under muscle or over for breast implants

+1

Although you are happy with the placement, it is the placement over the muscle that is the reason you feel the implants and see rippling. Going under would improve this, and round implants will feel softer than shaped implants especially if they are smooth. Capsular contracture may be slightly less likely with implants under, but that is only one reason. Over the muscle works best for small implants with good tissue coverage.

Richard Baxter, MD