Got a Subglandular Implant... Went in for Submuscular - Is This Going to Be Bad?

I just recently had surgery for Breast Aug. (two days ago). We had decided to go with smooth, round, high- profile saline, submuscular implants. I was a very small "A" size cup and wanted to go to a "C". I am a rather thin girl weighing only 115 lbs and stand 5'7" tall. Well, I get into the operating room and my doctor tells me that after looking closer that he thinks that we should go sub-glandular. We did, now I am nervous for dropping and rippling because of my size.. should I be?

Over implants

+2

It is difficult to say what you may achieve without an exam. But yes, you are more prone to rippling in overs especially if you are very thin.  Drooping is dependent upon your skin quality and the size of the implants.

Over or Under?

+2

Well,  as a generality in women who are A cup breasts I place the implants beneath the muscle.  My reasoning is that in the upper part of the A cup breast the tissue tends to be thin so I would like to mask the imperfections of the upper portion of the implant .  In your case wait several months to see your final outcome and if there are issues at that time then get these addressed.

Good Luck

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Wait

+2

You just had surgery and it is too early to start worrying about the rippling and sagging. I guess  the size you wanted was too big to go submusclar  and your surgeon decided to go subglsndulsr.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Deciding on subglandular or submuscular breast implants

+2

There are a number of considerations when deciding upon whether to place saline implants under the pectoralis major muscle (submuscular) or immediately under the breast tissue itself (subglandular). The appearance and risk of certain complications, such as capsular contracture, are different with each. All of these factors are apparent prior to surgery and the decision on implant placement should be made after careful evaluation and discussion with the patient during a pre-operative consultation.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

No Explanation for "going subglandular vs. submuscular" in breast Augmentation

+2

Regarding: "recently had surgery for Breast Aug. (two days ago). We had decided to go with smooth, round, high- profile saline, submuscular implants. I was a very small "A" size cup and wanted to go to a "C". I am a rather thin girl weighing only 115 lbs and stand 5'7" tall. Well, I get into the operating room and my doctor tells me that after looking closer that he thinks that we should go sub-glandular. We did, now I am nervous for dropping and rippling because of my size.. "

I agree with both my colleagues Drs. Placik and Rand, and fell EXACTLY the way Dr. Rand feels. I would discuss this with your surgeon but I cannot explain what possibly could have made him choose to put these implants in a more exposed, less covered plane.

Dr. Aldea

Implants placed under or over.

+2

High profile saline implants tend to have the least amount of rippling of the saline implants. Clearly, it doesn't make sense to take you back at this time and I would relate your concerns to your surgeon.

Submuscular vs subglandular breast implants - when should the choice be made?

+2

While I wasn't there, I would say two things about your question.  First of all I always go submuscular, especially in a thin patient in whom I am using saline.  This is to minimize the wrinkles and to not have to overfill the implants so much that they become hard feeling.

The second is that to change the plan in the OR after "looking closer" doesn't impress me quite frankly with the doctor's organization or experience level.  In my opinion, those decisions need to be made at the time of your preop visit (2 weeks before in my practice) so there are no surprises like this.  For an entirely elective procedure, last second decisions are not good and only set you up for the doubts you now have.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Sub-glandular breast implants can look beautiful and not cause problems

+1

Thank you for your question. Most plastic surgeons today prefer to place breast implants beneath the chest muscle. However in some patients the implants are placed beneath the breast gland for a variety of reasons.

Be aware that 100s of thousands of women over the past 60 years have had implants placed beneath the breast on top of the muscle, have a beautiful result and do not have problems.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Subglandular

+1

I don't understand why the plan would be changed w/o discussion, but hopefully you will be fine. Discuss options for rippling if it occurs with your surgeon on your next visit. You may well be fine and have no problems.

Gregory Sexton, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Subglandular versus Submuscular

+1

Rippling is far more common in the subglandular position than the submuscular, although you are not guaranteed to get it.  The risk of dropping should not be any higher in the subglandular position.  Best wishes!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon