Subdermal Implants to Raise Calf Tattoo

Hi, I'm going to have a subdermal implant put in my calf area that will be used to raise and accent part of a tattoo I have in that area. I'm looking for a source to build the shape and what you recommend it be manufactured from. It is a tattoo and implant that are in honor of my two children who have Autism and are very tactile. Thanks! Brian

Subdermal implants

In the calf, an implant under the fascia will cause less problem and stay in place better.
There are several calf implant manufacturers:
Allied Biomedical/Implantech; Spectrum; AART Inc. 
Sientra also makes calf implants.

You want a soft solid silicone implant and a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine the size and shape of the implant and whether carving a standard block or ordering a custom implant is what you need.

Los Angeles Calf Implants

Hello Brian,

At our practice we prefer Spectrum Designs Medical silicone implants.  I would not recommend a subdermal implant placement as there are several related risk including extrusion, and soft-tissue necrosis.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

i do not recommend getting subdermal calf implants as i believe there are higher risks for complications such as :

1. extrusion
  2. visibility
  3. palpability
  4. skin necrosis (loss)
  5. and loss of sensation

among others.

i recommend silimed calf implants. they also have a custom kit.

i don't think the manufacturers  matter that much. the placement matters more.

if you want to have maximum visibility and palpability:

• subdermal is the way to go but again i do not recommend it for the reasons listed above

Dr. Carlos Cordoba
Plastic & Esthetic Surgeon
4055 Ste-Catherine O. Suite 100
Montreal, QC. Canada H3Z 3J8

Carlos Cordoba, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Supplier of custom made solid silicone implants

I’ve used custom made implants from Spectrum Designs Medical. They carry both solid silicone blocks that may be carved to a specific shape and custom made solid silicone implants that are created using a moulage kit. The blocks come in 3 types: soft, medium and firm.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS