Does Subcision Without Fillers Still Improve Acne Scarring?

Can subcision alone, without fillers, improve acne scars?

Subcision without fillers for acne scars

I agree with the other two doctors.  I think subcision has a place in the treatment of depressed acne scars but certainly the results are improved if you use a filler at the same time.

Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Subcision and Acne Scars

Acne scars can be very difficult to treat, depending on the severity and type.  At its best, subcision helps to release the scar tissue making certain scars more amenable to other treatments such as filler.  I think subcision is overrated and that there are other techniques that when well-utilized can get you excellent results without subcision.  I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in treating acne scars. 

Acne scars and subcision

Acne scars can be difficult to deal with. Subcision will only release the scar tissue, but soft tissue below the scar was lost and needs to be filled in some cases.

Subcision can work without fillers

But you might maintain the correction longer and more permanently with fillers. I like the multi layered approach based on these same principles. co2 lasering is a big part of our approach as well.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon