Subcision Vs. Saline Subcision

My (light-skinned asian) young adult son is considering subcision or saline subcision--perhaps in combination w/TCA CROSS--to reduce acne scars on his cheeks. A female relative nurse mentioned that her MD was skeptical whether saline subcision is aggressive enough to break the "tethering" of depressed acne scars. I'd appreciate your opinions about this and also how "mature" a scar has to be before it can be treated (my son's acne only cleared up w/in the last year). Thank you! Fujiko

Subcision Saline Subcision for acne scars in Asian person

+1

Subcision would work but you might want to consider something with more regenerative powers. I prefer a multilayered approach that incorporates some type of subcision principle but I like this with co2 laser resurfacing and some dermasanding / dermabrasion.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Anesthesia, Subcison and Fraxel Repair laser can give him great results.

+1

Tumescent Anesthesia, subcison and Fraxel Repair laser can give him great results.  Saline subcision is not enough to permanently break the teathered scar bands.  I fill the scarred area with tumescent anesthesia, do extensive subcison with a custom surgical tool, and then blend the surface with the Fraxel Repair Laser.  I get consistently 75+ percent improvement after one treatment.  The only challenge is managing the post inflammatory hyperpigmentation that will often occur post treatment in Asian skin.  With good sun protection and good skin care management, the skin heals with wonderful results.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon