Is there any benefit to performing a subcision for a non-tethered scar?

Is there any benefit to performing a subcision for a non-tethered scar? Or can I just get filler (Juvederm)? Thank you.

Scar treatment: fillers, subcision and/or laser resurfacing

+2

Subcision is the surgical use of a small knife to release any tethering fibrous bands.  If your #scar is not tethered, no need for subcision.

An easy procedure is the use of #restylane or #juvederm #filler.  Most have a bit of local anesthetics in them which makes the experience more comfortable.  I also use a topical anesthetic gel to make the experience an even more pleasant one.

Finally, a more invasive treatment would be laser resurfacing or its Sciton Erbium profractional component.  It is more invasive and therefore, fillers should be done first.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto plastic surgeon, office in Toronto and Richmond Hill
416-929-9800

No need for subcision if untethered

+2
Just use Juvederm to fill in the area.  There is no need for subcision.   Juvederm usually works well and has great durability in scars such as yours.  Hope this helps.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm to a scar

+2
There are many times when injecting Juvederm to a scar will help minimize it. Untethered scars are perfect for this type of injection. Additionally, Juvederm is available in smaller size syringes, which are perfect for small scars. Depending on the size of your scar this could be an option. And finally, Juvederm to scars usually lasts longer than when it's injected into other areas.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

If your scar is non tethered, Juvederm should work just fine

+2
We routinely use Juvederm or other fillers on untethered scars and it does great!  I hope you try it as it is usually a wonderful option for scars and very easy to do!  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist