Subareolar Incision for Explant? (photo)

32 yo w/300cc silicone subpect.implants 5 yr ago via subareolar incision-uncomplicated. I went from a 34A to 34C, like the results; don't want them as I grow older/after pregnancy. Originally, one surgeon didn't recommend this incision b/c of my smaller nipple size. I have good nipple sensation and hope to breast feed some day. I would like to explant before pregnancy (have never been pregnant). Can I be explanted via my same areolar incision? I don't want an additional scar. Drawbacks?

Implant Removal Incision

+2

There should be no reason that a different incision should be used to remove your current implants. You already have a scar here and there is no real reason to put new/additional scars on your breasts. It is also not necessary to remove the implants prior to pregnancy other than your desire to have them removed. There is no known medical reason existing implants would interfere with with pregnancy. Although in rare cases breast implants could interfere with breast feeding, removing your implants at this time would certainly not have an influence on your ability to breast feed.

Best Incision for Explantation of Gel Breast Implants

+1

There is no reason for your to remove the gel breast implants mentioned in your question.  So, first of all, your should have a good reason for doing so.  This would avoid any of the potential complications associated with explantation of breast implants.  Breast feeding is no more likely after explantation, and may actually be less likely as you will be cutting through breast tissue for a second time.

If you have a good reason, including that your simply want them removed, then you must accept the fact that as with any operation that there are risks and complications.

As to your question about which incision might be the best.  I suggest that you use the same one that you already have that was used for the initial breast implant surgery.  

While in theory there may be a higher chance of infection due the breast ducts, the risk is actually less than when the breast implants were placed as you will be removing a foreign body (gel breast implants), and this risk is relatively low to begin with.   You will also avoid the nee for a new scar.

Periareolar incisions and implant removal

+1

I would agree that removing an implant through a previous periareolar incisional scar is probably low risk for problems although an inframammary crease incision would still be easier and could be done under local-only anesthesia. However, I would caution against replacing implants through a a second periareolar approach as this not only risks bacterial contamination from breast ducts but there is more chance of the implant herniating up through the breast tissue. Overall, the inframammary crease incision has proved to be the best for short term results, avoiding injury or contamination from the breast ducts, and for long term needs such as revision, replacement, or removal. For saline-filled implants this incision can be 2 cm and for gel-filled implants currently available about 3 1/2 to 4 cm.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Removal Incision?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Removal of your breast implants would be best done through your previous incision;  this operation should involve minimal recovery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastrevision.htm

Explantation

+1

You can definitely have the implants removed throught the old incision. Be prepared for a look that may be quite depressing for a few weeks, but over time the appearance of the breast shoulod be quite satisfactory. Pregnancy will then change it again, of course.

Explantation

+1

If you desire explantation, you can certainly have it done through the same incision site.  It should not be a problem.