Studies or Medical Advancements for Removing Silicone Butt Injections?

Are there any studies and/or medical advances currently under way to find a method of removal for silicone butt injections?

Removing silicone from the buttocks

+1
Our office spec ializes in the treatment of silicone injections to the buttocks, face, and soft tissue. Liquid silicone in primarily used to enhance soft tissue volume and patients gravitate towards the filler because of its permanence.We see patients from across the country who have complications arising from silicone injections to soft tissue.The silicone, depending on the amount of contaminants contained in the injection, can cause a severe inflammatory reaction that can cause permanent changes to the skin, leading to pain, itching, burning, ulcers, fibrosis, and swelling, among other problems. In our plastic surgery office, we have employed conservative as well as surgical protocols to help patients deal with the permanent deformities stemming from PMMA, biogel, biopolymer, biopolimera, artefill, artecoll, and other injections.
The first stage in improving your condition would be to schedule a consultation to discuss your options after a complete examination is made.

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Tough issue no easy solution

+1

Terrible problem with no easy solution. Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Butt injections

+1

Unfortunately not.  It is very difficult to remove free silicone injections into any tissue. It is most likely in multiple layers an difficult to remove without leaving alot of scarring and depressions.