Stubborn, Residual Swelling Under Eyes 2 Yrs Post Sculptra Treatment? (photo)

I was a model for a Sculptra demo. Board cert MD w/ yrs of exp. He wanted to inject under my eyes, I hesitated & asked, is it OK since it is not indicated for use there? He reassured me he had done this many times w/ good results. He placed it deep along orbital bone. 22 mos later I still have residual swelling. He tried injecting hyaluronidase - no better. He tried cortisone/FU-5, a small improvment. He says 2 more treatments should do it. Will thermage or fractional laser help? Any ideas?

Sculptra

+1

Sculptra is often used to restore volume in the cheeks, temples, jawline.  It is not recommended for underneath the eyes as side effects may occur.  Thermage or fractional laser will not be helpful in this situation.

Residual swelling under eyes 2 years after Sculptra treatment?

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the negative result you experienced with Sculptra. The best results with Sculptra are achieved when it is used to restore volume in the following hollow areas:

1) Temples
2) Cheeks
3) Chin
4) Jawline
5)  Ear lobe

Sculptra can also help define the jawline. It is not recommend for use in or around the lips or eyes. Side effects can occur even when your doctor is an experienced expert. Thermage or fractional laser will not likely help your issue. If you are not satisfied with the result of the steroid/5-FU treatment, I would recommend getting a second opinion from a physician who has a great deal of experience with Sculptra. I hope this helps, and best of luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Persistent swelling after Sculptra

+1

I am sorry to hear about your experience. To answer your questions directly, neither Thermage nor fractional laser is likely to help. If your swelling is soft then what your seeing on the photo is most likely edema or fatty tissues. If the swelling is deep and firm like a hard lump or nodule then you are likely dealing with Sculptra nodules. In either case, there are no simple solutions. Find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon in your area to assess and see he or she can help you. The lump created by Sculptra, while not common, can be quite persistent and requires tremendous amount of patience on your part. I hope you can get this resolved safely.

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Sculptra Under Eyes

+1

Unfortunately this is a very difficult situation! I might recommend a few possible options: blepharoplasty, injectables to fill the spaces around the swelling, more steroid/or 5FU (although you must be incredibly careful with who performs this, as it is a very sensitive area and you could cause more harm than good). I recommend seeing a plastic surgeon/dermatologist to get their opinion in person.

Best of luck 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Stubborn, Residual Swelling Under Eyes 2 Yrs Post Sculptra Treatment?

+1

Yes the issue was use of a product where it is really not indicated. But in my opinion Thermage would be a waste of time and money.