How Strong Are the Internal Stitches?

I had a tummy tuck 2 weeks ago.I feel great and have had almost no pain. I do get sore and tight,I know that is to be expected. I guess the fact that I have had no pain and that I feel so good it makes me wonder if I may have ruined/tore the internal stitches used to repair the muscle wall. I have read the other posts.My belly is flat and no "pops". I am afraid by getting up and down I may have damaged something , is that possible?I am VERY happy with my results so far that is why I am worried.

No pain during recovery a good thing

+1

The fact that you have almost no pain during your tummy tuck recovery is not a bad thing.  The abdominal wall tightening (muscle repair) is usually the part of the tummy tuck that causes the most tenderness but just because you have little discomfort does not mean that you have ruined what has been done.  The sutures used to repair the abdominal wall can be either dissolvable or permanent and are usually fairly strong.

Dr Repta

Web reference: http://aaaplasticsurgery.com

Concerned about damage to tummy tuck result because postoperative course is very tolerable

+1

From what you are relating, it sounds like you are concerned because you are having no problems - so something must therefore be wrong. However, it sounds actually that you have had a very comfortable postoperative course without any problems following a tummy tuck which is not rare. As long as you are not seeing abnormal bulges where there weren't any after surgery - you are okay. It does take a fair amount of effort to break the muscle repair but that also depends on the technique employed and the strength/thickness of the suture.

So - Enjoy your fortunately mild recovery and what sounds like a great result!

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Suture strenth after tummy tuck

+1

The suture strength varies dependent upon how your surgeon did your case. The strength of the tissue into which the sutures were placed is probably the main issue of strength. Sometimes this tissue is thin. Still there are rarely problems with properly performed muscular repairs. I have not to date ever had to fix one of mine. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Stitch rupture

+1
Congratulations on your successful procedure. There is no indication of disruption of the internal sutures. You are having a great recovery. Some patients get through the tummy tuck with less pain than others. Don't hesitate to speak with your plastic surgeon but it sounds as though you are doing great!

Stitches popped?

+1

From what you describe, it seems like you had a successful surgery.  There seems to be no outward evidence of torn or broken stitches.  Certainly voice your concerns to your surgeon at the next postoperative visit and hopefully you will be reassured that everything you are experiencing is normal.

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Internal Sutures with Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your successful procedure.  You are very early in the healing process and each patient reacts differently in regards to pain / discomfort.  I wouldn't worry that you have "torn/ ruined" the internal sutures just because you are not feeling pain.

Keep in close communication with your surgeon and I am sure that he/she will help you put your mind at ease.

Best Wishes!

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm