Strong Back Pain After Full Abdominalplasty and Hernia Repair?

I am 1 week postoperative and my back pain is still so strong. I can't be on my feet for more than a minute before I have to sit down due to radiating pain from my lower back upwards. Of course I'm still hunched over, and I imagine this doesn't help. I need to hear how long this back pain is going to take to heal. Is this normal? What can I do for relief?

Back pain and Tummy Tuck

+1

Dear Crowespirit,

Your back pain is mostly related to the unusual posture you have formed after the tummy tuck surgery as well as the various unusual seating positions you have assumed while recovering.

Normally, patients will grow out of the "hunched-over" posture to resume their usual ones within the first 10 days post-surgery and so their back pain should subside gradually.

Nonetheless, if your condition persists then I encourage you to consult with a neurologist as neurological issues could be the underlying cause of your back pain.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Dr. Sajjadian

Back pain after abdominoplasty

+1
Often, patients develop back pain because they have first been on a rigid OR table for hours and then walk/lie/sit in atypical positions postoperatively. However, an underlying musculoskeletal issue should be ruled out and you should see a neurologist or orthopedist if it does not improve in short order. Feel better. Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD