Are Strip Fat Grafts Easier to Remove Than Fat Injections?

i'm considering getting f/gs, but just in case i don't like where they're placed, i'm wondering which of the two would be easier to remove in the future: strip fat grafts or fat injections? thanks so much for your thoughts!

Injection fat grafts typically smoother than strips

+1

Fat injection is typically smooth since a large number of very small pieces of fat are injected.  it also has a higher survival rate.  I have seen more lumps and bumps with fillers (Radiesse, Sculptra, Restylane, Juvederm) than I have seen with fat.

Removing strip grafts or injected grafts.

+1

I am not sure if there is  a definitive answer to this, In many instances the injected fat seems easier to remove. However, it is easier to remove a strip graft within the first 3 weeks of surgery. 

Fat transfer

+1

Once the graft has "taken' it becomes part of your tissue. Removal of the graft is difficult and impossible to get the exact look as before the graft is put.

Be sure of what you want, consult a Board Certified plastic Surgeon convay what you want exactly and discuss the chances of achieving your goals. if you are not sure, the try resylane first, if you do not like it it can be disolved

Fat grafts easy to remove?

+1

Once fat is placed in the subcutaneous compartment, there is a collagen response which can "wall it off" making it difficult to remove, especially if new blood vessels grow into the new fat making it live in the new area. If you don't like the result they might have to be surgically removed which can leave a scar. Possibly corticosteroids could be injected but can have a reverse effect such as dimpling or a depression. Make sure this physician has a good reputation with other physicians in their community.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Removing fat grafts

+1

As long as the grafts "take" they have established a new blood supply and are permanent.  Once this happens, neither is easier than the other to remove.  Sometimes they don't take though. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Removing Fat Grafts

+1

Neither strip fat grafts or micro fat grafts are easy to remove, so please make sure that you choose a surgeon with experience in grafting.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Removal of fat which has been injected vs fat strip grafts is about the same

+1

My only fear is that the strip grafts might result in more scaring which might make them slightly more difficult to remove. In either case I would probably recommend liposuction for removal or contouring. I have performed hundreds of fat grafting procedures and have only had one patient who complained of excess fullness in the region of fat grafting several years after the procedure when she had gained about 20 lbs. This was easily correctable with liposuction. I would expect removal of strip graft volume to be about the same.

Daniel P. Markmann, MD