Stricture Symptoms - How Do I Know if I Have a Stricture?

I'm having trouble keeping food down 7 weeks post-op. Is that a symptom of stricture or normal recovery?

Stricture symptoms after Gastric Bypass

+1

The literature reports stricture rates somewhere from 6 to 20 percent depending on who did the study and what technique was used. Usually strictures occur several weeks to months after surgery and these can be managed with endoscopic dilation. Difficulty eating solids or increased reflux may be related to a stricture or narrowing of the outlet of the small pouch.  An endoscopy or an upper gastrointestinal study can help with this diagnosis. Sometimes there are no anatomic reasons and simply controlling your portions is the reason for the symptoms.

Houston Bariatric Surgeon

Strictures after gastric bypass

+1

Strictures occur in about 5% of patients after gastric bypass surgery at the connection between the stomach pouch and small intestines.  The sign of this is difficulty tolerating any solid foods.  This usually happens between 6 - 8 weeks after surgery.  The treatment is to perform an endoscopy and dilate the stricture with a balloon.  We usually perform this procedure right in the endoscopy suite in our office as an outpatient.

Shawn Garber, MD, FACS, FASMBS
Long Island Bariatric Surgeon