Straight Nose Prior to Primary Rhinoplasty Now Crooked 10 Days Post Op? (photo)

I wanted to smooth out the bump on my profile & keep the front the same. I'm now left with a nice profile, but my nose which was straight is now totally off center. MD also did septoplasty & extensive work on 1 side of my nose to clear out blockage. MD explanation was that tho my nose was straight prior to the surgery, my septum was severely deviated & the cartilage "memory" is trying to return to where it was before. He will decide if "minor correction" will need to be done in a week. Possible?

Swelling after rhinoplasty?

+2

While I see on your photo what you are talking about, it may be a lot of swelling. You need to give it time to settle down.

It may just be swelling

+2

Everything your doctor told you is true.  Sometimes correction of a significantly deviated septum can be accompanied by some unforseen asymmetries due to tension in the remaining cartilage.  It is also possible that you have asymmetric swelling and that things will look better with time.  It sounds like your doctor is following your progress appropriately. 

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

10 Days after Septorhinoplasty and Crooked Nose

+1

You had a slight deviation prior to surgery.  At 10 days after surgery, you have a tremendous amount of swelling, which is masking results.  Give yourself at least a few months to evaluate this.  A correction at 6 months or a year, if necessary, would be reasonable.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

New asymmetry may just reveal an old asymmetry

+1

If your septum was deviated and tilted to the side, your old bridge hid the deformity.  When the bridge was reduced, the underlying septal shape revealed itself.  Your surgeon did not create your asymmetry, he or she only uncovered it.

This shape will improve as the nose narrows.  Give it a year.  If you are still unhappy, improvement is still very possible.

All the best.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Nose appears crooked following rhinoplasty?

+1

10 days is still soon after your surgery, and you are experiencing swelling. In general, it can take 18-24 months for the final result of surgery to be evident. 70% of the swelling will resolve after the first three months, and the remainder goes down over time. Degree of swelling can be influenced by the thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether the surgery was open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed. The best thing is to wait and see how you heal. One week is too soon to judge the result.
It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it can take some time. I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Straight Nose Prior to Primary Rhinoplasty Now Crooked 10 Days Post Op?

+1

Sounds like your chosen surgeon is following a very good course. Most likely at 3 months you will need further surgery but I would do external compression excursuses.