Can Stretching in my Sleep Damage my 11 Day Old Mastopexy with Implants?

Hi, I am on day 11 post op and am finding it really difficult to sleep at night, and have started waking up stretching my arms above my head - as told not to - resulting in pain. Yet I go back to sleep and wake up doing it again. I am having aching shoulders and armpits through lack of mobility, but I'm worried this stretching will damage the job or affect my scarring. Is this normal and am I compromising my surgery doing this? And how can I stop it!! Thanks guys.

Will stretching damage my mastopexy?

+2

After 11 days, the skin and tissues from a mastopexy should be well healed.  If they are, then stretching should not damage the results.  The surgeon who performed the surgery should check the incisions and tell you if stretching your arms would compromise the result.

It sounds like the muscles in your shoulders and arms are tight.  You may consider a massage therapist to help prevent you from stretching inadvertently at night. Check with your surgeon first.

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Streching post BA and mastopexy

+1

Hi

Two issues that you need to cosider:

1. The location of the implant, submuscular implants need to be held in their pocket. Streching can move  and slightely displace, subsequentally it would cause pain. 

2. The scarring need to be healed with no disruption which can cause no problem in short term, widened scar on the long run.

take care 

Fatema S. Alsubhi, MD
UAE Plastic Surgeon

Should be okay.

+1

Moving/stretching your arms in any direction 11 days after a mastopexy and augmentation is typically not going to disrupt your result as long as you are healing on an average curve. The incisions should have enough strength to withstand basic arm movements although not strenuous activity. The range of motion is likely good for you considering your described tightness, but it would be reasonable for you to follow up with your surgeon to discuss what your specific limitations are as you progress through the healing process.

Shannon O'Brien, MD