Have I Stretched the Skin of my Tip by Playing with It Too Much After a Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty four months ago and was initially extremely happy with the result. Since then, it seems as though the tip has become more bulbous. I have been playing with the tip a lot, and have also been taping my nose every night very tightly. I am worried that these two actions have either stretched the skin, or prevented it from shrinking post-surgery. Could this be the case?

Bulbous Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello. It is very unlikely that the skin has stretched. The bulbous appearance is most likely due to inflammation. The more you play with the tip, the more inflamed the area will become. If you continue to cause inflammation the healing process can be affected and your nose may heal in a bulbous shape. If you let it be, the inflammation will subside after about a year. It is a slow process, so be patient. If you have any concerns, be sure to see your doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Manipulating The Nose After Rhinoplasty

+1

Without your before/after photos and the details of your surgery, it is hard to identify the reason behind your nasal changes.

With that perspective, the final results take about 12 months after the surgery to get established and so when the patient manipulate his/her nose "compulsively" during the recovery period, possible alterations to the surgical outcome may happen.

So, I encourage you to consult with your surgeon and to stop any action applied on your nose unless specified/recommended by your surgeon as part of the post-op care.

I hope this helps and thank you for your inquiry.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian 

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS